Thyrtee. The Literal Best (arc)

Start from the beginning

Her demanding face, icy demeanor, on the verge of a bully to be honest, it all caught him up in his ways and crashed to the floor by his feet. And then, as if by some higher force, they became best friends. Life can be really funny.

Kimmy's pineapple boba began to taste a little hard. She stirred it, watching what was left of the ice melt and disappear. She could feel Noel's gaze on the sunflowers peeking beneath her shirtsleeve.

He knew about the tattoo, and he knew about Toby. She had told him a lot as they grew closer with the time spent, hiding under the bleachers and sitting at the lake, dipping their toes into the water.

Why didn't she get it removed? "Costs too much" was her unenthusiastic answer. Her reason didn't hold much weight to the fact that she stole money from her father for each tattoo. If the ink job was small enough, as they all were, he would never notice the couple of bills missing from his envelope he kept in the floorboards. But really, even though the boy that loved sunflowers was a good-for-nothing, even though he probably only said those things to get that kiss, he was an important part of her life. The tattoo, although attached to a lot of bitter memories, was still a reminder of who she was at the time. Her mind swung back and forth from regret to gratefulness, hate to fond nostalgia of the sweet memories of her budding friendship with Noel.

The sun baked the last slice of pizza in the box on the table. Noel, now content with a full stomach, set his elbows in front of him, smiling at Kimmy as boredom threatened to wipe her off the face of the earth.

"Quite the wiggle-bean today, aren't you?" he mused as he watched her bouncing knee and twiddling thumbs.

"It's the weekend, I'm always extra bored on the weekend." Kimmy said, her tone dead. "But you're quieter than usual," she accused. Her eyes narrowed at him.

Noel swallowed, avoiding her gaze all of a sudden.

Pulling out her pack of cigarettes, she tapped one on the box out of habit before sticking it in her mouth.

Noel snatched it from her right before her lighter reached it.

"I thought you stopped, Kimmy," he sighed, tossing it into the nearby trashcan.

"Thanks a lot, Christmas, wasted a whole new cigarette," she huffed. She put the pack back into her pocket, knowing another attempt would end the same way. She tried to taste the lingering tobacco in her mouth but it had all but vanished. "Anyways, I know that look. You're tired. Is it your parents?"

She knew him all too well. Even though her face was young, her eyes of swirling brandy seemed so much wiser than she gave them credit for. 

He gave a weak nod, the pizza getting to him.

"They think I'm gonna drop out of school because of you. Had a big fight about it last night. My mom broke a vase."

Kimmy looked down and back up to him.

"I'm sorry. I never meant to give them a bad impression..."

"Well, it isn't just that...." Noel sat down beside her, tracing the edges of the little hourglass on her thumb. "Remember when you told me life's short when I asked what this meant?" He smiled, a nostalgic look in his rich, black eyes. "Well, I used to be the perfect kid, you know? I used to comb my hair and button my shirt up all the way, say yes ma'am and yes sir, and just do as I was told, never asking why or... complaining." Noel's hair ruffled in the breeze, his wild curls reaching out to the blue of the sky. "I guess I've changed a lot since we met. They're just scared that I'm becoming a delinquent, I think," he laughed sadly.

"I'm sorry, it's my fault-"

"Hey, don't do that," Noel grabbed her hand, his eyes tilting wistfully at her.