Chapter 39: Disillusionment

Börja om från början

Forcing herself to look down, Izumina eye's fixated on her hand. It was the same as always. Its creases and slender fingers unchanged. But still... she felt dirty. She swore she could see red, in the lines and under her nails. Dripping slowly down her wrist and forearm.

Grabbing the door handle, Izumina hoisted herself up. Her knees trembled slightly as she did so. She turned and made a frantic beeline towards the sinks.

Slapping the handle, more so than turning it, water spewed from the faucet and drenched her hands. Water spilled over the sink's bowl and counter, soaking her top. She paid it no mind as she leaned over, reaching for the soap dispenser.

It felt like it was in her, under her skin. Their blood. Fleur's blood. Her mother's blood. So much soot and dirt... She didn't want any of it.

The water wasn't hot enough. It needed to burn. Singe the filth beneath her skin. It needed to reach her veins, down to her bones.

It needed to hurt.

She struck the faucet and turned the handle further, as hot as it could go. Her skin became red, matching the spot on her forehead she'd shoved against the door. Then it became raw. It felt better.

Izumina reached for the soap and pumped until its spuds filled her palms and dripped down her arm. She rinsed, scrubbed, and scratched at her skin, leaving tiny cuts. The soap entered the wounds and stung with the heat of the water. She felt clean.

As though what she was doing finally hit her she flinched away from the water, holding her hands to her chest. The water kept running, clear as it washed the remaining soap down the drain. Izumina's breathing was uneasy as she realized the mess she'd made. The countertop was flooded, soap dripped down the wall, and the mirror was covered in splatter.

Her eyes shakily locked with her reflection, her fear and guilt making her unrecognizable. As if she were a different person. As if she weren't a person at all.

She slowed her breathing, balling her hands into fists once more and digging her nails into her palms to ground herself. She watched as the red mark on her forehead faded, lavender particles danced around her temple and hands. She ripped her gaze away, unable to look at herself anymore, and cussed. "Merde..."

It didn't take long to clean up her mess. Grabbing paper towel from the nearby dispenser, Izumina wiped down the counters and mirror. When she was done, she opened her bag and changed back into her normal uniform. Folding her damp hero suit before placing it in her briefcase, Izumina turned to retrieve her mask from the floor. She sighed as she placed it into the case, eyeing the bloodstains and tears in her costume as she did so. She ran a hand over Fleur's cape, grateful it hadn't been damaged like everything else. Whichever support student was tasked with cleaning and repairing her suit would be getting the short end of the stick. She bid them a silent apology as she closed the briefcase.

Pausing for one last look in the mirror, straightening out her hair and clothes the best she could, Izumina unlocked the door and headed to the nurse's office.

She took a detour, stopping briefly at class 1-A to drop off her hero costume. She bid goodbye to her classmates as they filed through the door, finally able to go home.

Uraraka waved to her as she and Iida passed. "We'll be waiting for you and Deku outside. Come meet us by the front stairs once you're done with Recovery Girl."

Forcing a smile, Izumina waved back. "Okay, we'll see you out there." Her hands were still shaking a bit, but not enough for it to be obvious. Her skin had gone back to its usual colour and her cuts had already closed. She paid it no heed, pushing the memory to the back of her mind.