chapter eight

"OKAY, LET'S TRY THIS AGAIN," Trevor sighed as he dusted his hands on his pants, the remainder of the dark grease left on his skin wiping away in an instant

"OKAY, LET'S TRY THIS AGAIN," Trevor sighed as he dusted his hands on his pants, the remainder of the dark grease left on his skin wiping away in an instant. Athena cheered as she fell into the passenger seat giddily, watching the hopeful boy turn the keys in the ignition. After a rumble from the engine, they both groaned in frustration. The car had failed to start.

"Come on. Come on!" He began to shout, his anger bubbling over by the car's lack of life. He continued to carelessly shake the keys, hoping that the vehicle would magically roar to a start.

His rage-filled movements caused Athena to sigh. "Are you sure got everything right?" She asked quietly, scared to interrupt him too loudly.

"Yes, I'm sure!" He yelled whilst letting go of the keys and turning towards her, widening his eyes to show his vexation. Upon noticing her worried stare and flinch from his actions, his behavior dawned on him. Trevor immediately softened his glance and took a deep breath, sincerity springing to his dark irises at the sight of the shaken girl. "Sorry, I didn't mean to."

"It's okay," she shrugged with a soft smile, watching him visibly relax. She turned towards the front of the car, the window covered by the metal bonnet, and placed her hands gently on the dusty dashboard. "Just take a deep breath." She breathed in as Trevor raised his brows, silently watching her. "This is gonna work."

He, copying her movements, moved to face the front windshield and shut his eyes. "Come on, darling," he muttered pleadingly. 

Thankfully, the engine roared to life. The teens both span to face each other with wide grins, their laughter filling the vehicle as they threw their hands up with excitement. Trevor cheered and slapped the steering wheel as Athena giggled into her small, pale palms. Suddenly, interrupting their celebration, the hood of the car dropped down, causing both of their expressions to drop nervously.

"This is gonna be awesome," Trevor schemed with a grin, quickly recovering from the loud jump-scare. Athena couldn't help but smile at his happiness.

"Then let's go," she suggested with enthusiasm, which made the boy look over at her weirdly. She had been so against it earlier.

"What?"

"Go. Drive!" Athena gestured towards the open fields outside the crumbling walls of the old shed. He grinned at her eagerness before pressing his foot heavily on the accelerator, sending them flying into the fields. He cheered loudly as he controlled the car, the girl beside him gripping onto the handle on the door with a massive grin.

Trevor drifted through the expansive farm, summoning a few squeals out of the girl beside him which only made him laugh harder. However, out of nowhere, a small hill came into view. It caught Athena's eye, her expression dropping at the mere sight of it, but Trevor didn't catch on.

"Trevor," the worried girl began to murmur, her hand fumbling to frantically tap his upper arm as he drove. He didn't seem to pay any mind, however, as the pure joy of him being in control of the vehicle blinded him — he just continued to cheer. "Trevor!"

Athena started to shout as her eyes widened. The car was approaching the hill and the end of the field concerningly fast. His demeanor dropped worriedly when he looked to the side to see her nervous face, it dropping even more when he followed her terrified stare to ahead of them.

"Oh, shit." As the car drove over the edge of the farm at an insane speed, both teenagers let out deafening screams. Trevor kept one hand on the steering wheel whilst he stuck the other one out to his right, pressing his palm against the girl's chest to keep her pushed against the seat. They hadn't known they would need seatbelts.

The rusty car landed on the dirt road harshly and the boy instantly slammed on the brakes, coming to a stop right before his sibling — not that he had taken any notice. Athena and Trevor shut their eyes and took a few deep breaths before they processed what had just occurred. The curly-haired boy looked to the side at the girl and lowered his hand, using it to manoeuvre himself so that he was facing her entirely.

"Are you all right?" He asked as he ducked his head, trying to look at the girl's face that was hanging low. She raised it and looked at him once registering he had spoken, slowly nodding her head as her eyes scanned his face.

"Are you?" She shot back breathlessly, raising her brows to show her concern.

"I'm fine." She glanced down and saw his hand laying flat against the seat, and without thinking, threaded her fingers through his. He gently rubbed his thumb against the back of her hand as a light blush overtook his face, the silence around them comforting as they caught their breaths. It was the few light knocks on Athena's window that interrupted their moment, both their faces instantly turning towards it at the sound.