chapter five

THE NIGHT WAS YOUNG

THE NIGHT WAS YOUNG. THE once bright sky had faded from it's beautiful blue to black, the small sliver of the moon and it's neighboring stars being all that could guide them home. Athena still couldn't shake the horrid feeling of something dreadful occurring as it surrounded her mind and overtook her pensive thoughts, trapping her inside of her own head as her friends chatted on alongside her. Trevor and Lucky were the only two who seemed to notice.

Trevor, as one could've guessed, caught onto her anxious behavior first, due to his deep infatuation with the girl. When zoning back in from his admiring stare, he realized said girl wasn't acting like she was only moments ago. 

Deciding to act upon it, the boy gently placed a hand on Athena's thigh as she nervously stared off at the dusty floor of the back of the truck. She slightly flinched when the pads of his fingertips made contact with her icy skin, sending his hand flying back to his lap in surprise. "Woah!"

"Sorry," she barely whispered as she glanced up through the hair that'd fallen over her forehead. He frowned sadly at the sight.

"You alright?" He asked with concern, leaning forward so his elbows were resting on his knees.

"That thing, something's wrong," she shuddered as the chill slithered down her spine for the third time since the incident. That horrible, horrifying incident. She got lost in her mind again, staring off into the distance behind Trevor's head as he maintained his worried glance.

"What do you mean?" He questioned with a raised brow. He was perplexed. He wanted to know what was tormenting her brain.

"I don't know," she answered truthfully, "but it's not good. How do you explain that?" She spoke with such incredulity that even Trevor questioned himself. How could he explain it? Did it even really happen? Where did it go? Lucky, who had been listening to the whole conversation, took Trevor's place as he fell into the deep hole of his thoughts.

"Just relax, Thena. There's no such thing as the paranormal," Lucky reassured the girl as she patted her shoulder, grinning mischievously at the fluffy-haired girl.

"I didn't say that," Athena mumbled under her breath as she fell back against the side of the vehicle, crossing her arms as she glared at the floor. 

"You always do," Lucky shrugged before turning back to a different conversation upon noticing the boy across from her friend returning to his senses.

"Hey, Athena?" She hummed in response, softly looking up at Trevor's gleaming eyes filled with concern. "Do you want to stay at mine tonight?"

"What?" She leaned forward with furrowed brows, not thinking she'd heard him right. He mustered up all the courage and bravery he had left remaining and repeated himself.

"You know, like a sleepover?" He smiled over at her, watching as a red hue started to encase her enrapturing features.

"You want me to sleepover?" She questioned again as doubt filled her mind, pushing away the anxious feeling that came with thinking about the mine elevator. 

"Well, yeah," he shrugged with raised brows. Her face instantly brightened, a giant grin coming to rest on her lower face as her irises twinkled with excitement.

"I don't have my clothes though," she countered as the doubt once again decided to seep through her happiness and pure joy.

"You can wear mine. They might be a bit big but they'll fit," he told her calmly, careful not to draw too much attention to themselves so they wouldn't have the prying eyes of their friends on them as they made the plans.

"Are you sure?" She asked worriedly. She didn't want to be a burden, like her mother constantly insisted that she was, so it was a question she asked herself and others quite frequently. Trevor, of course, didn't know this, so he didn't think much of it.

"I'm sure," he replied instantly. Her big smile returned to her lips as she pulled out her phone, her bright phone case shimmering in the evening light. 

"I need to tell my dad first," she told him as she clicked away at her device. He grinned excitedly as he leant backwards, letting his knee bounce up and down to let out his uncontainable excitement. 

"Yeah, sure. Whatever," he muttered as though his mind wasn't racing with countless thoughts.