chapter four

TREVOR AND ATHENA'S KNEES CONSTANTLY knocked together as they drove closer to the mountain, sitting in the back of an old pick-up truck

TREVOR AND ATHENA'S KNEES CONSTANTLY knocked together as they drove closer to the mountain, sitting in the back of an old pick-up truck. The rubble on the road made the ride bumpy, causing one of the two to constantly fall forward against the former's palms with a look of surprise. They kept sneaking glances at one another, eventually catching each other's eyes before hurriedly looking back down at their laps with flaming cheeks. Ultimately, everyone else in the truck who had to endure their painful obliviousness were sick of them.

When they got to the top, Trevor jumped out first and held out his hand for the girl from the library. With a sweet smile and dimples in her bright cheeks, Athena gratefully placed her palm in his before jumping down onto the rocky ground, intertwining their fingers before the other could let go. Her bold action caught the boy beside her off-guard, causing his eyes to avert from the expansive view infront of them to their conjoined hands. Before he could question it, Athena was pulling him towards an old, red mine elevator.

"Woah, what are you doing?" He asked with concern as he pulled her back, away from the rusty contraption she was about to step on. She turned around with a grin, looking up at his worried eyes with her gleaming ones.

"I do this all the time, it's safe. Trust me." Her thumb glided against the back of his hand before she let go and jumped onto the elevator. He gulped as he looked down the crack between the machine and the mountain. Athena sensed his fear and reached up, tilting his head up to look at her by placing two of her fingers under his sharp chin. With a trusting smile, she told him, "Don't look down."

She slowly backed away to give him room to step on, watching as he cautiously walked onto the small platform. Once his right foot left the safety of the rocky ground behind him, he immediately grabbed onto the sides of the elevator, letting out a deep breath as the fear plaguing his mind washed away. Slowly opening his eyes, he sheepishly grinned over at the girl who'd watched the whole ordeal in quiet hysteria.

Athena lazily fell back into one of the seats and smiled up at him, motioning for Trevor to sit down across from her. He, very carefully, did so.

"It's cool, right?" She asked him with wonder, gesturing to the view surrounding them. She admiringly battered her eyelashes as his eyes latched onto the sunset in the distance, lighting up the sky with smears of orange and pink.

"Yeah, yeah it's cool," he breathed out in agreement, having been swooped away by the countryside's beauty. As they sat in silence - Athena looking around the mountain and Trevor staring warmly at her face - Rufus had nudged Zahk's elbow with a smirk as he pointed to the boy enraptured by their friend's eyes as he laughed.

"So, is the library your family's?" Trevor asked. 

"Yeah, it's my dads," Athena told him with pride. She loved the library more than anything else, so when Trevor had actually bothered to ask her about it, she was delighted. Not many people in Summerville paid much attention to her, other than her friends at the diner, but Trevor had instantly done so. It almost seemed like he actually cared