Chapter 22 - Second Chance

Start from the beginning

   Alie fixed her attention on the weapon. Her weapon. How dare he claim that for himself. How dare he, when he was so consumed by darkness and despair. How dare he steal her life's most valuable possession, the very thing that gave her purpose in this Realm.

   She would get it back. Even if she had to fight tooth and nail for it.

   He spotted the fire in her glare. A raised brow indicated he wasn't impressed – or intimidated – by it. He gestured for the guard by the cage door to stand aside, and lifted his hand to the lock.

   "You have my permission to punish the boys as you see fit when we're gone," the Commander said casually as he opened the door. "But they are to reach the palace alive and conscious. I will personally see to the punishment of anyone who does not obey."

   "Thank you, Commander," the Phantom woman bowed again. Her teeth flashed with a sickening grin.

   The Commander reached for her cuffs. His dark power swam across the iron, swirling through the metal like tendrils of smoke. The lock clicked open, and he lifted the manacles from her wrists.

   A rush of magic tingled across her skin. This was her chance. She breathed in deep, sucking in as much magic as she could get from the air around her. It sparked within her blood, setting her limbs ablaze with a familiar, reassuring fire.

   Better to be subtle, she thought as the Commander moved to grab her. She let out a whimper as his hand clasped around her wrist and dragged her forward. She stumbled out of the cage on weak legs, her muscles cramped from staying in one position for so long. His power swam up her arm, a dark shadow that licked like midnight flame across her skin. It locked in the magic she'd collected, disabling her from utilizing its strengths against him. 

   She couldn't even hear the lock of Darrel's cuffs clicking open as the Commander dragged her across the paved path. Her knees buckled, and she fell, crying out as she went down.

   Michael leaned as far forward as his chains would allow, his worried gaze fixed upon her. "I cooperated with you," he reminded, his voice cracking with worry. "You promised not to hurt her if I cooperated!"

   The Commander snorted through his nose. "Plans change," he replied curtly. He grabbed Alie under the arm and hoisted her up. She bit back another cry as the Commander dragged her forward.

   She twisted in his grip, struggling to watch her friend. "I'll be okay!" she tried to assure him, flashing a smile that she knew didn't reach her eyes. The Commander's power licked across her torso, staining her leather breastplate black. It constricted her, making breathing difficult. Michael's desperate gaze cut through her. But there was nothing she could do.

   Though she tried to keep her focus on Michael, her gaze slipped to where Darrel sat with his back to her. The little paper dragon fell through the cage bars, tumbling across the dusty path. Darrel himself kept his head down, the perfect picture of calm and submission. With everyone's attention fixed on her and Michael, no one noticed the mischievous smile spreading across his lips. Or the fact that his chains had slipped silently to the cage floor.

   The Commander yanked her forward. She tripped on her own feet, feeling like a child being dragged by their parent. She pulled on his grip, complaining that he was hurting her. He ignored her.

   A deep, menacing growl reverberated across the valley floor, rumbling along the path. The stones around her feet trembled. One of the soldiers behind them yelped.

   The Commander paused and glanced over his shoulder.

   Darrel's paper dragon had become enormous. It rose on legs as thick as tree trunks, its long serpentine neck sweeping across the meadow. Its head, crafted of paper as deep red as the Commander's crystal blade, stared out with eyes painted black as night.