Baby Steps

“holy hell that was ridiculous!!” Laura stumbled backwards and I stood taken by surprise

“The flippin oven! It.. it just blew up!!” Laura looked at me and laughed

“Don’t laugh Laura one of the lunch aldies could have gotten hurt!!” I said setting my tray down and tip toeing up over the sneese guard to see what exactly happened.

“No but Addie you just like sneesed and it blew up at the same time almost like your sneese caused it” She giggled but stifled it “Sorry sorry I know its just so coincidental”

“yeahh…” I said as the lunch aldies came back “Coincidence.”

“You all can presume your lunch but we won’t have bread once this runs out.” She said and handed me and laura the last two slices of Italian bread. I was still not used to control my magic so stuff like that keeps happening. But not in school before that at least not one that was more then a moving pencil with no hand or accidental super strength.(I.. uhh accidentally kickedthe leg of of a desk… but they blamed it on a loose screw…)

We went to sit down laura giggling

“What happened back there?!?” the kids asked wide eyed

“Addie Blew up the oven!!” Laura laughed

“I did not!” I said my face getting red. “I just sneezed at the same time the oven blew up” I put on my pouty face trying my best to sound convinsing.

“chill addie we’re just kidding” Micheal laughed. Did I come off too upset or angry? I don’t know I’m still working on being human. Which is harder when I can constantly feel a rush through my fingers of magic. I always wondered why the humans didn’t think we magicians existed. They wrote stories on us. They used to even persecute us so many years ago so they new we existed then.. but only the female magicians. Witches they called us. Even so they seem to not WANT to think we are real, as if they are truey afrad of us. Then I think of Lycan and feel sympathy. They have a right to be afraid. Not to long now we will have them under our control and many will probably die. I smiled

“be afraid, stay afraid, fear what you don’t know, and fear when it comes for you. Fear guides you. Without fear your lost. Gone. Dead.” I mumbled words Lycan said to me shortly after we met. Shortly after he killed my father.

“What was that addie?” laura said looking at me

“oh just my favorite line from an old poem” I smiled

“Well what was the poem that sounded really creepy” Micheal leaned in

I have never seen this group of kids so interested in poetry. Why woiuld they be wasn’t that nerdy?

“Why do you care?” I said and micheal smiled “My mom’s a poet” he grinned

“have you read any of her works? She wrote poems like “Summer in Winter and Love is a lie”

“No I haven’t sorry” I said sweetly and he pouted “You should… shes not the best poet but I love her stuff.  Summer in winter is like hot when it’s cold. Summer in winter is not right and old. When you look at me I feel so warm.. when it’s cold. Summer in winter is like hot when it’s cold.”

Laura stifled a giggle at the terrible poetry but none of us said anything He sighed “Whatever it’s just her dream that’s all” He looked at his lunch tray and played with his spaghetti. I sighed.

“Can we hang out after school?” Laura said “I want to go to your house”

“Na Luke wouldn’t like that” I said.Lycan posed as my adopted father (because I refused to call him my real one) name Luke instead of Lycan for future necessities. Anyway.

“Your stepdad is real territorial or something isn’t he?”

“he’s not my stepdad, I told you he’s my adopted father.” I said sighing

“So you where adopted?” Laura said as if it finally sunk in even tough I’ve told her this a-many of times.

“Yeah when I was seven.” I said

“What happened to your real parents.” Laura said wide eyed

“They … uh died” I shoved the last of my bread into my mouth and chewed it, maing sure to savor it since it was the only good thing at this school… and we won’t be having it  for a while.

“Oh.. I’m sorry” Laura shifted her eyes off me

“haha it’s fine” I smiled swallowing the bread “ hey I have  a question I was just hinking of…. And sorry it’s a really stupid question  but I erad a book and… well anway, do you believe in like Witches and Wizards and magic and stuff?”

“Haha no?” She tilted her head at me “That’s all little kid stuff like fairies and dragons and castles and unicorns?”

“Laura castles are real. Their used everyday” I gave her a look. And she raised her eyebrows

“Really? I wanna see one!”

I burst out laughing  I couldn’t believe she thought castles where fake.

“I bet you think the north pool is fake too because its where santa lives” Micheal scoffed

“Now that I know is not real” Laura said

“no! it’s real! It’s on globes” I said laughiong laura was a moron

“That’s not the north pole! Its just a sheet of ice at the top of the world." She grumped and micheal patted her on the head. 

"Don't worry you'll figure it out some day."

"Well.. fine whatever. So anyway can I please come over?" Laura looked at me puppy dog eyes at their biggest.