Chapter 9: Waiting For You On The Fence

On yet another sunny Thursday afternoon, Ken and Sonya found themselves walking to their normal meeting spot after running into each other in the stairwell. Ken followed Sonya's lead as she traveled to her locker and began to rummage through her backpack. As Ken watched her, he couldn't help but muse over the last few days that had passed since Sonya made her promise. Her new attitude had been a breath of fresh air and her openness had garnered the attention of more than a couple clubs. However, the girl in question still had not picked one to join. As such, they were running out of clubs to attend and the realization made Ken frown unknowingly. A snarky voice pulled him out of his thoughts as Sonya glared at him.

"If you're going to stare at me like that, at least talk about something. Try not to be so creepy..."

Brought to his senses, Ken became aware that he had indeed been staring at her. He quickly tried to follow up with some small talk as his cheeks became flushed.

"Oh, um, sorry! I was just thinking about all the clubs that we've gone to this week..."

Turning back to her locker, Sonya nodded and decided to humor his conversation.

"Yeah, the theater club wanted me to sign up then and there."

"Well, with your notoriety, you would be great in the fall play. They had a point."

"Whatever. I don't want to be paraded around just for ticket sales."

Ken chuckled at her assertion before making an inquiry of his own.

"What about the sewing club though? They really wanted to make clothes for you."

"That's just because I'm small. Like I said, I don't want to be paraded. I did like taking photos in the photography club..."

Donning her backpack, Sonya stood up and they proceeded to walk toward the student council room as they continued their conversation. With a playful tone, Ken replied.

"Most of the photos were of your fingers..."

Shooting him an irate glance, Sonya puffed her cheeks.

"I don't have to be the best at it yet! That's why I would go to the club to practice."

"Oh, so you are thinking about joining a club then?"

Ken turned his head to look at Sonya and made a childish smile. The girl quickly folded her arms and denied the allegations.

"No way. I'm winning the bet, remember?"

"Yeah, yeah. I remember."

A playful grin crept across Sonya's face as if she recalled something and she turned towards Ken and called out to him.

"If I was going to join a club, can you guess which one I'd join?"

Looking down at his underclassmen, Ken thought aloud.

"Umm... I mean, definitely not the math club."

"Why?"

"You literally fell asleep..."

"Why?"

Sonya's grin grew more intense as the source of her joy finally dawned on Ken and he answered her with a flat stare.

"Sonya, are you talking about the newspaper club?"

"Why?"

"You know you have to ask more questions, than just 'Why', right? Let's cut through the courtyard."

"Wh-"

As they turned to take the shortcut through the courtyard, they were greeted with a grand sight that interrupted Sonya. The golden shower tree that had been on the brink of blossoming was now in full bloom. Clusters of yellow flowers were peppered across the branches as petals spiraled towards the ground in an intricate dance. Sonya's eyes glistened as she sprinted down the walkway before stopping near a bench directly underneath the tree. As Ken caught up, he could see a soft smile on her face. Without looking at him, Sonya spoke in a placid tone.