Listen and Be Cautious

Several products/brands have been "cancelled" by the natural hair community for various reasons, and ultimately, those are up to personal preference. However, as an individual, you should be aware about certain ingredients and what they can cause to your hair, and a good example of this is the "DevaCurl Scandal" that happened in early 2020. 

Several DevaCurl customers came out and addressed their concerns with the products that DevaCurl was releasing: extreme hair loss, prolonged change in curl pattern, scalp damage, and even psoriasis. Ayesha Malik was the main influencer who stood up and talked about her experience with DevaCurl: the damage that her hair experienced was so great that she stopped partnering with DevaCurl as a whole. 

DevaCurl released a statement stating that they adhere to quality assurance and regulatory standards, but it was revealed that an ingredient in several of their products, Diazolidinyl Urea, was acting as a relaxer in hair when subjected to any type of heat (not really heat from tools, but heat like the temperature outside). 

I personally have not used DevaCurl since 2020, and I can't say that I will be using them again. I haven't checked to see if DevaCurl has removed that ingredient, but I have found products that work much better on my hair than DevaCurl ever did. 

This short story just serves to highlight the importance of being aware of the different products that you use. There's a current scandal (as of March 2022) concerning Olaplex where it's been banned in several European countries because of the presence of a certain ingredient (butylphenyl methylpropional, also known as lilial) that caused infertility in rats. As far as I'm aware, Olaplex has released a new version of their products without this ingredient. 

In reference to the last chapter, sulfates, parabens, fragrance, and silicones can also cause adverse reactions with their use. I had to stop using SheaMoisture products because my back would break out in a rash every time I used any conditioner/deep conditioner, and their products are well-liked and mostly organic. 

In short, this chapter serves to highlight the importance of listening to both your hair and body when it comes to choosing your products. Things that work for me may not work for you, and it's largely up to personal preference.