Sulfates, Parabens, and Silicone: What are they and are they actually bad?

Sulfates, parabens, and silicones are a very controversial topic in the natural hair community. Some people don't care if they use products that have these ingredients because their hair is flourishing, and other people have bad reactions to those ingredients. As I've stated before, the most important thing for you to do is to listen to your hair and to use products that work for your hair. 

Sulfates: Sulfates are chemicals found in cleansing agents, so you will most likely find them in your shampoo. However, they can be very harsh and drying, as you will most likely find the same type of sulfate in your shampoo as your dishwashing detergent or other household cleaners. Sulfates strip all of the oil from your hair, which may clean it, but will also take away the natural oils that your scalp naturally produces. People whose hair gets very greasy very quickly may choose to use sulfates, as they may need that type of harsh cleansers. However, in my experience, sulfates have left my hair dry and brittle, and heavily contributed to the unhealthiness of my hair. Examples of sulfates include Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, and Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate. 

Parabens: Parabens can be found in a variety of your hair products, from leave-in conditioners to shampoos. Parabens are the most dangerous of the three types of ingredients that I'll talk about here, as they can cause endocrine disruption (hormonal disruption), allergic reactions, and immune toxicity. A lot of products will be paraben free, but will still carry sulfates and silicone. Denmark is the only country that has restrictions on parabens. 

Silicone: Silicones are synthetically created and derived from silicon, a mineral element that is also found in plastic. It's not necessarily harmful to your hair, yet because of it's plasticky nature, it can cause buildup and dryness because of the thick coating it can add to your hair. It is most common in heavy-slip products, like conditioners and oils, because it does make it easier to detangle hair. Silicones are very hard to rinse out (unless you use a sulfate-based shampoo), even if they're water-soluble. Silicones left my hair flaky and dry, so I avoid using them. Examples of silicone include: Dimethicone, Amodimethicone, Trisiloxane, and Cyclomethicone. 

There are several products that are sulfate, paraben, and silicone free, and they are very easy to find or order online. Some of them may be slightly more expensive, but they're also likely to be more organic and contain benefits for your hair.