Reminiscence

Summary:

In her dreams, Mirabel remembers the pain she felt being the giftless Madrigal.

But despite that, is still showered with love by new friends.

Notes:

Hey there ya'll! Newest chapter for you all!

So, let me just say hi to you all! Hi! How are you doing? I hope that you are all doing well and having an amazing day and an amazing week. If you aren't, I am so sorry and I hope that you'll have a better day tomorrow.

Now, if you haven't noticed I've been changing how long this story is like every so often. That's really because I've been making some of the elements of the plot into one whole chapter instead of mixing multiple into one. So it's getting longer. And I don't want to keep you all here for like 50 chapters. So I feel like to just give you all an estimate is why the chapters kept changing. But for now, I'm gonna go back to the question mark until I am completely finished as to stop wasting your time. I'm sorry if you got confused. I'm hoping to keep it under or exactly twenty chapters.

Also, you all really seem to like Ian. Like way more than I expected you to! I see a lot of you guys shipping the two of them. I didn't plan that for the story... but I think that we can work something out... maybe... I don't know yet. But I'm glad that you all like Ian so much!

Enjoy! Happy Sunday!

Chapter Text

"Oh no. I made them as a surprise! For you!"

Mirabel saw the look on Abuela's face. Hoping to find a look of happiness on her face. Admiring the beautiful candle and candleholders that she had placed. Adding some kind of decoration to the place that everyone else had already contributed to. It took her days to make. And she hoped that everyone liked them. But that look on her grandmother's face. That look when she was trying to fake a smile and it ended up just conveying her disinterest or her frustration with something she didn't like or agree with.

"Mirabel, I know you want to help. But tonight must go perfectly. The whole town relies on our family, on our gifts. So the best way for... some of us to help is... to step aside. Let the rest of the family do what they do best." her grandmother said to her. Not smiling or putting it in a friendly way for her. "Okay?"

Mirabel just nodded back at her. "Okay..."

"And Mirabel, tonight is Antonio's night. He's excited to get his gift. After everything, I want you to let him shine." she said.

"What-"

"I want you to just... find something else to do during the ceremony. Make the snacks, go for a walk. Something. But for the party, you can come. Let Antonio be happy for his day." Abuela Alma said to her. Her words not even affecting her. No real realization or care what those words meant.

"I'll... I'll stay behind." she said. "I promise."

As she turned, her grandmother picked up the candle and its holder. Blowing out its flame. Her nose turned up at the burn and it in of itself. Not finding care of the gift Mirabel had created. "Camilo, come and clean these up." she called.

As Mirabel trotted to her room, she saw her cousin picking up her holders and chucking them into the trash. "Why am I throwing these away?" they asked.

"Do they match everyone else's decorations?" she said back. "Don't ask questions you know the answer to."

Camilo, without more protest, picked up the holders as they were asked. Mirabel sighed, slowly opening her bedroom door. "Mama, be nice to Mirabel. You know today will be hard for her."