Chapter 36: Bandit Scuffles.

Start from the beginning

As quick as the wind itself, the head of the bandit was lopped off without so much as knowing what killed him. The last thing he saw was a man in a luxurious suit with an extended sword.

"What the hell are you!?"

Seeing two of his friends die helplessly like lambs to the slaughter, one bandit yelled out in despair. That is, until he saw the glint of a large built man in full-plate armor make strides toward his location.

"B-boss! You gotta help us!"

As if the messiah himself came to his rescue, a bandit that fell back crawled hands and knees to the burly man he called boss, desperately grabbing at his ankles begging for help.

"Get your dirty paws off my leg!"

The man kicked away his subordinate and pulled out a large sword that resembled a buster sword seen in video games. It was by this man's appearance that David was finally battle-ready in what functionally remained of his armor plus some spares.

"Well, I guess it's my time to shine."

David readied his halberd above his head with the pronged pommel facing his enemy, ready to parry, strike, or poke at any openings he saw.

"Hmph! So you're a Royal Guardsman, huh? We really pulled in a bigshot today, eh fellas?"

Recognizing the insignias embroidered across the armor, the big man briefly beat his chest, his armor echoing the hit.

"The name's Gozas! What's yours?" The plated man introduced himself. He looked rough, almost barbaric, with his bushy black beard and heavily tanned skin.

"David." David answered.

"Well David, let's share a pint in hell then, yeah?"

"...Sure."

Though he didn't know him at all, it seemed that Gozas new that he was going to die in this fight.

"Here I come! [Ground Shrink]!"

In an instant, with the unexpected use of magic from a mere bandit, Gozas used what felt to be darkness attributed magic that acted as a 'blink' spell of sorts.

"[Iron Wall]."

To counter Gozas's heavy offense, David in turn used his best defensive spell, an earth-attributed spell that solidified the body and equipped armor by several times, making the caster and equipment just as heavy. Not that he needed to use such spells since his enchanted armor could naturally block normal weapons.

The buster sword collided with David's waist. Under normal circumstances, such a heavy sword would slice through the armor like a hot knife through butter or crush it into scrap if used with the right amount of strength, but the variable known as magic stopped that. Why didn't he use that against me? 

David readied his weapon. When Gozas hit his armor, the time needed for him to recollect his posture and control the large and unwieldy blade gave him ample time to cleanly thrust the halberd's pommel and penetrate through Gozas's armor into his wide open torso.

Just as he predicted, the pommel dug deep into Gozas's stomach. If he was lucky, it would have barely scraped by his organs, but such a thing wouldn't occur against a skilled Imperial Inquisitor.

David released his halberd from Gozas body. The large sword in his hand fell to the ground with a loud thud and Gozas fell to his knees, clutching his open wound with his hand. Blood freely flowed out from the wound all over his hand.

David tapped the shaft of his halberd, readying its weight, before slamming the axehead into Gozas' skull. He wasted no time.

And like that, a group of bandits was forever removed from the world.