tuesday

warnings: mentions of death/manslaughter, hospitals, general violence

The door loomed in front of me as I raised my hand, curled into a fist. Taking one last glance at the sticky note, checking if I had the right address before I put it back in my pocket. At the time, I didn't know why I was so nervous. I was mentally praying that he had given me the wrong one. At that moment, anything felt better than having to face seeing Aubrey again. She loathed me after I told the truth, and I knew it.

SUNNY re-learned PERSIST!

But, nevertheless, I knocked on the door. And, after a few seconds of waiting, the door swung open. There she was, staring at me in confusion at first, an expression that was soon replaced by disbelief, her brown eyes wide. Her hair was dyed a lavender purple rather than the fuschia pink I was used to, adorned with a red bandanna tied into a bow. She let out a small, shallow breath, and her blank look shaped itself into a sad smile

"Su... Sunny?"

"Aubrey." After a pause, she leapt into my arms, pulling on the sides of my jacket. Not knowing what to do at first, I reached around her, placing my hands on her back, hesitantly pulling her in. I could feel as her tears grieved my shoulder. Not really knowing what to do, I tried to start a conversation. "So, uh. How are you doing?"

"Well, I'm doing well," she said in what was almost embarrassment as she pulled away from the hug. I nodded along, clearing my throat. "I haven't seen you since... yeah."

"...Right."

"What do you mean, you..."

"I... I told you. I killed Marianne White."

"Of course you fucking did. Ha! What else am I to expect from the psychopath who slashed me with a fucking steak knife? You haven't left the house in four years, Sunny. Why didn't I see this coming? God, I'm stupid."

"Aubrey, I'm sorry, You mean so-"

"Forget this. Fuck you, Sunny. Enjoy the trip home."

"So... what have you been up to?" I asked her, attempting to pretend to be calmer than I was in actuality. "I heard you've been doing psychology work?"

"I'm a psychologist now, yeah. I'm married, been so for a few years." She paused a little bit. "I'm assuming that you've seen Basil, considering that you're at my house."

"Oh, yeah. Sorry if this is a bad time, I was just... wondering if I could come visit. Have a chat?"

"O-of course. Come in, I'm so sorry about the mess."

She let me come inside, noticed the various objects such as a half-put together crib, and some unopened presents. I'd be lying if I said she was incorrect about their house being a mess, but I'd also be rude if I admitted it out loud. "I heard about your maternity leave from Basil. You have a child?"

"Not yet. Second trimester now."

"And, you're married too, wow. Time really has flown by." I laughed a little as I wandered inside, causing her to laugh along. "Is your partner home at the moment? I'd love to meet them, if I haven't already. Are they from here?"

"Yes, he is." She rolled her eyes, smirking a little. "And, you'd never guess who."

"Babe? Is someone at the door?" As if on cue, someone emerged from one of the other rooms. He towered over me. A small, stubbly beard matched his brown hair which was tied into a low ponytail. His skin was tanned, and his brown eyes widened in happiness and surprise as he saw me. "SUNNY!!"

"Kel?!"

Running over, he wrapped his arms around me in the tightest bear hug I have ever received, laughing jollily as he picked me up. "I missed you, dude! It's been years since I last saw you!! How's everything going with the band? I've heard your music on the radio, and I was so excited to see you were coming home to Faraway! You got a girlfriend? Boyfriend? Partner? Man, we need to catch up! Oh, I'm also gonna be a dad now! Call her Mrs Connor!" I chuckled at his enthusiasm.