Ch. 9: Hulk Got Ya?

"I'll keep that in mind, now...I've about had it with you." He points to Loki.

Marilyn escapes at the first chance, which is right away. No way is she hanging around. Only, moments later, there's a great big crash.

"Is everything..." It's Hulk.

The rage monster, himself. Perhaps, she shouldn't call him a rage monster. That was bound to anger him further. Marilyn makes a mental note to call him by name. Just to air on the safe side.

Hulk stomps with a great big roar. Oh no. Oh no.

The force alone sends Marilyn flying. She lands on the ground. Loki's head snaps her way. Hulk grabs him by the wrist and thrusts him to the ground. Gosh, he really needed a timeout.

As Loki hits the ground, the whole room shakes. Hulk's stomping around again and this time, it's enough to knock Marilyn off the edge. She's plummeting downwards.

Marilyn looks up, just in time to see the alien army break free. The portal overhead. It's all there and it's happening to her. She's a part of this. Technically, it might even be a teensy bit her fault.

A Chirtari lunges for her. Marilyn squeezes her eyelids shut, because she knows, she knows, what happens next. It slams into her and Marilyn slides back onto the polished floors of the Stark Tower.

Dear lord, that was terrifying. Reliving it is almost worse. The most horrifying aspect is the smudge of slime on her elbow.

Loki's had a rough time too, she can see.

"What's up?" Loki murmurs.

He's flat on his back, as well.

"Not well." Marilyn thinks for a moment, "Hulk got ya?"

"Mmm."

"We can't stay here forever,"

"Just a little longer." Loki pleads.

"Let's talk strategy."

"No. I won't. Don't want to."

"But we need to. There's an alien army on the loose."

"Good."

"I'm not sure I like them."

"That's the point."

"So...when we rule the world, do we build a castle or what?"

"We?"

"Of course, we."

Marilyn had been thinking about this all afternoon. She could do the whole palace thing. Having a room for shoes and a separate one for all her clothes. There'd be a private fairy garden library and a never ending stash of cupcakes. Wait, no- brownies. Or...crumpets. She really liked crumpets.

She'd do her best to remove all the annoying taxes. Maybe hold a ball?

"We?" Loki repeats.

"You know, 50/50 partners. I thought we had a deal."

"There was no deal."

"It was an unspoken agreement. We weren't supposed to talk about it."

"I've had something different in mind...more like...51/49."

"51/49! No way."

"And I have more otherworldly knowledge."

"That's unjust!"

"And I've got more life experience."

"I will kill you."

He tilts his head in concern. Oh. Oh.

"I didn't mean it!" Marilyn sits up, "not to like, have full ownership. It's just a thing we say here."

"It's a deal?"

Marilyn sighs, "I suppose."

Authors note

This one got to be super short, after a plot change, but it's sorta cute, I guess.