Ch. 6: Thank Me Later

Marilyn just scored some hippie's phone number. She's on a role. Actually, he's following her out. Carter looks down at her lack of luggage, then drops it.

"Need a ride?" he asks.

"Yes, actually," Marilyn nods.

"Me too," Carter chuckles.

Does he play guitar? Marilyn can't help but wonder. He looks like someone who would. Or maybe it's just the drums.

"Shall we catch a cab?" Carter offers.

"I'm not sure if I can take you seriously."

"C'mon. I know my way around."

Marilyn sure didn't...

"Okay," she shrugs.

On the ride, Marilyn asks, "do you play an instrument? Like the guitar?"

"Huh?"

"No? Drums, then."

"Um, actually. Guitar. Yes."

"Nice," Marilyn smiles.

He gives her a funny look.

"What?" Marilyn queries.

Later

"I had a good time," Marilyn admits.

She stands in front of the Hilton inn. She shoves her hands in the pockets of Carter's fleece.

"Me too," Carter agrees.

"I can't get over that waitress," Marilyn ponders, "she was too funny."

"I know, right?"

"I mean, she wouldn't take no for an answer."

"Yeah, she was stubborn."

Marilyn lets the silence settle for a moment. It's brilliant here.

"I'll see you later?"

"You know where to find me," Carter says.

"Okay," as he starts to walk off, Marilyn exclaims, "wait! Your fleece."

"It's fine."

Marilyn nods, "okay."

"Okay."

"Bye."

"Bye."

Marilyn enters the hotel lobby. She takes a moment, looking around. It's impressive. Better than her last stay. No children staring her down.

"I hear you have a room for me?" she entreats, "It's Emily."

"Emily, who?" the front desk clerk requests.

"Emily...Lewison"

Ooo. Was that any good? Must be. Marilyn's soon got a key.

Marilyn runs to the bed and stands up. She bounces a bit, then sits down. Soon, she's touching all the towels and wrapping herself up the robe. It's white, fluffy, and wonderful.

Marilyn doodles on the notepad and plays with the phone. She spins on the chair and opens each draw. This is the end kind of stay she would've expected Loki to provide her. She got herself in extensive legal trouble for him. Although he had threatened her immensely...she hoped he would remember to snack. Hangry Loki was the worst.

Marilyn declares it shower time. It's also time to sample each and every product. Expect the lotion. That was smelly. Could she get...room service? The answer was yes. Then, Marilyn sits and stares at the phone. Carleigh knew to call her here, so why wasn't she ringing? Marilyn looks at the time. That's why. Then, she got an idea. What if she...slept?

Marilyn tried very hard to do that, but she wound up having a long conversation with Blair.

"I know, it's weird, right?" Marilyn pulls the blanket tighter around herself.

"Definitely strange," Blair agrees.

"Mmm," Marilyn yawns, "I'm sleepy."

"Me too...did I tell you about that movie?"

"Which one?"

"The one with a dog? He got lost and-"

"That was a horrible movie."

"No, not that one. The other one."

"Huh?"

Tomorrow

Marilyn had nothing to wear. Was Clair stylish? She should've rewatched the movie last night, not...anyways, she needed something to wear and Briannica wasn't going to pull through. In fact, she was threatening to call the authorities if Marilyn didn't stop knocking at her door. Briannaica was well dressed, that's all.

Plan B was in full swing.

"I'll take these," Marilyn pushes her bundle forward.

"We accept cash, credit, and-"

Marilyn intervenes, "my boots are genuine leather."

"Okay..."

"You can have them in exchange for the jeans."

"We don't-"

"Check out my necklace."

Marilyn fetches some slinky black pumps and those low chunky heels...

"I want them," Marilyn places the shoes down, "and I know you want my necklace."

"I-"

"You know what? You can have everything?" Marilyn looks down, "except the fleece."

It wasn't hers to give away.

Marilyn's pointed in the direction to change. She makes it her audition on time (barely) dressed for the occasion. Kinda like a casual look, but very elegant. It was graceful and toned down- okay, so she'd only bought jeans and a tee shirt, but she was wearing it well. The cameraman is leaning in.

As she drops the last line, Marilyn breaks character.

Carleigh sips her drink, "somethings off."

Oh no.

"Brooks, take this back," Carleigh demands.

Marilyn breathes a sigh of relief as they applaud her performance.

Authors note

This chapter was so fun to write...also, don't forgot to comment and vote!