Lycus clenched his jaw and tried to navigate if a threat was laced in her words. The Alpha of the Lacuna pack, neighbouring Gabriel within the mountains, Calla was rather similar to Gabriel. Both weren't known for their ongoing battles with hunters, instead, they stuck to themselves and dealt in peace treaties and such.

Lycus doubted there was anything remotely threatening about Calla besides her beauty and wisdom.

"I have." Lycus forced a twisted grin and gestured to his territory with a wave of the hand. "But as you can see, she took off."

Calla took a step forward, her eyes brightening or darkening, Lycus couldn't tell. "My mate died, Lycus, and if I were to say anything about having one, don't cage her, if she wishes, she'll come back to you."

Come back to what? Lycus brooded cynically.

There's nothing to come back to as they share nothing besides a cursed bond that has toyed with the both of them unjustly.

"Thank you, Calla, have a safe trip home." Lycus slightly lowered his head before meeting her gaze once more.

Calla said nothing else and turned on her heel, two tall women flowing faintly behind her as they disappeared between the trees.

"Now that Lycus chased the rest of the Alphas off, hopefully, things will damn well calm down from here on out," Tala, Lycus's Beta, muttered to Nina.

"Hopefully," said Luna Nina, "Although, there will be more tension amongst the packs than ever before. Only time will tell of what will happen now."

Lycus grumbled lowly. The two women veered off to the rotting carcasses, picking and pulling them into a small hill of the dead. For the dead to burn and perish.

They've been doing it ever since Lycus shifted back into his human form, busying themselves with the mayhem they didn't cause but have to get rid of.

Lycus didn't know where Gabriel was but after he helped him shift back, his brother disappeared into the woods himself.

Lycus could feel eyes drilling holes in his head. Not Nina, but Tala. She embodied a typical Beta. Disciplined, grouchy and hot-tempered. Betas are highly valued and respected as they were the second in command, the trainer, the strategist and the person to fall back on when the Alpha isn't around.

They don't need to bear any form of pure Lycan blood, just need to be picked and chosen by the Alpha that wants them as their second.

Lycus had no regrets in choosing Tala as his Beta. The straggly haired and lean she-wolf had guts long before she was turned.

Where is she? Lycus couldn't help but think. He couldn't deny, he was tempted to track her down and force her back here, uncaring of what she wanted or desired.

Lycus knew Accalia was a Larren, he heard the name slip from his mate's mouth when she was in the dungeon after trespassing into his lands. He truly didn't know what to do with her those days ago. He, himself, was trying to wrap his head around finding his mate and of all things, a hunter. He deemed it as punishment on himself for all his wrongdoings and even now, he wanted to let her go, but couldn't fathom Accalia being parted from him.

It was a raging battle in his head, the propelling suggestions of what to do with his mate were ceaseless and unending. He didn't consider any of them would lead him to this, naked and bloodied, lying against a tree to gather his bearings of the slaughterhouse he committed.