Composure

With training officially underway, both you and Ichigo were clashing blades for some time. While Ichigo was doing this to help you cope with loss and also help you train for the battle that was to come, You on the other hand were doing this to get stronger physically. Your slashes were aggressive and powerful, causing Ichigo to grunt and use all his strength to block with his blade.

    As you continued to slash your sword at Ichigo, you began to become consumed by your memories of the fight that got your Captain killed. This caused you to spiral into anger and depression all over again. Telling yourself that you should have stopped her or protected her in some way. With an angered growl, you slam your blade down on Ichigo from above, making him quickly hold his Zanpakuto over his head with one hand on the hilt and the other on the button of the blade.

" Jeez, (Y/N)! It's just training! Calm down!" Ichigo exclaimed.

You got control of yourself and backed up, sighing heavily, " Sorry..." you mumbled and looked away.

Ichigo rested his blade upon his shoulder and looked at you, " You're still thinking about her, aren't you?" he asked you.

You grip the hilt of your Zanpakuto, " That's not of your business,"

" Listen, I know what it feels like to lose someone close to you--" He began before you interrupted.

" What do you know? You're just some substitute Soul reaper!" You glared at him.

With a deep sigh, you look away, closing your eyes tightly.

" Captain Uerinton accepted me into her Division with open arms. I didn't qualify or meet the expectations of most of the other Divisions... She didn't care what my grades were or how strong I was. She accepted me because I was a good person, strong-willed, and adaptable,"

You looked at Ichigo a little, sniffling slightly.

" I should have done something," you grumbled.

Ichigo's expression softened as he rested his blade on his shoulder.

" What happened back then, that was her decision. She protected you and saved your life. What matters now is what you do with that life," He told you as he walked up and placed a hand on your shoulder.

" How do you think she would react to seeing you like this? Reminiscing, walking around like nothing matters except what you didn't do. Sorry to say this but, you need to keep moving forward," He told you.

     You turn towards him, glaring daggers. This wasn't what you wanted to hear. Why were you even discussing this with him? He wasn't your friend, barely even an acquaintance. Pointing your blade at him, you growl lowly.

" Listen, Substitute Soul Reaper. I'm not going to discuss this with you," You glared.

" Why not? Seems like the talking is calming you down," Ichigo gave you a smile.

    You rose a brow before realizing that you really did talk to him about how you were feeling. Suddenly, you felt yourself calming down. This wasn't so bad actually.

     Before you even had the chance to speak again, the ground began to shake. You looked towards the exit, then at Ichigo before sheathing your zanpakuto and running out.

     You ran up the stairs as fast as you could, skipping a few steps in the process. As you got close to the exit, you spotted Kisuke at the door.

" What's going on?!" You questioned.

     You watched as Kisuke fanned himself, seeming like nothing was wrong, but when the ground shook again, his expression shifted into a serious one as he stopped fanning himself. He didn't even answer you. When you looked past him, your eyes suddenly went wide.

      A line across the sky had opened up which caused the ground to shake again. No, it couldn't be... That line, it was the same color of the light that attacked you and the Captains. When you saw something come out of the opening of the line, your eyes narrowed.

" Utachi..." you grumbled in annoyance.

     This was it. This was your chance to get rid of him once and for all. No time to waste. Quickly, you ran out, gripping the hilt of your zanpakuto as you rushed into battle.

-----------------

Authors note:

Sorry for the delay for this chapter! I had gotten covid a few weeks after the previous chapter was posted and then it spread to everyone else in my house. Plus I had writer's block which didn't help either. Another chapter is in the works and will hopefully be out in the next week or so. Thank you for your patience! 💜