Chapter 4

Rocky took her hand, leading the way outside and into the trees to the path that was there. They walked silently for a bit as he tried to collect his thoughts. Finally, he said, "I suppose for you to understand the conversation with my mom, I need to tell you some things about myself."

Rocky stopped and turned her to face him.

"Okay," she said, sounding a bit unsure.

He breathed deeply, letting it out slowly. "I was born a shapeshifter, a werewolf, whichever you want to call it. There comes a point in our lives when we find someone we call a mate or soulmate. When I didn't find mine by the time I was twenty-one, I gave up on ever finding her I guess.

"I was in the Army, had been all over, yet still no mate. I never thought I would stumble over her in my hometown at a Thanksgiving Day parade of all places," he said with a snort. "Sadly, it would seem fate thought because Johnny and I are twins that we should share a mate."

"Jennifer?" Layla asked in a whisper.

"Yeah, but Jennifer didn't want two mates and basically rejected me," he told her. Suddenly, knowing he'd now have to tell her he was dying, he was overcome with emotion. He buried his face in her neck and breathed deeply of her calming scent. "Her rejection was my ending Layla. A soulmate is the other half of your soul. A werewolf can't live with only half a soul once the soulmate is found," he said. Looking up into her eyes then, he continued, "Layla, I'm dying, and my wolf is for the most part already gone. I'm no longer able to shift into his form."

"Dying?"

The sound of the choked word behind him had Rocky's head-turning. There stood his dad, naked, his face pale.

Rocky shoved Layla's face into his chest. "Dad, you're naked in front of my girlfriend!"

Dad ignored him, stepping closer to again ask, "Dying?"

"Yeah, Dad, dying from the rejection of my mate," Rocky softly answered.

"Who?" Dad asked looking angry.

"Jennifer."

"But she—she's Johnny's mate," Dad stuttered, confused.

"Yes, and she was mine too."

"Twins... one mate...?" Dad trailed off. "Does Johnny know?"

"He does now, I guess she told him at some point," Rocky told him.

Dad shook his head. "I'm sorry that this happened to you, son. It does explain a lot of things though, the way you wouldn't come home. Are you sure you're dying though?"

"Yeah, I've not shifted in six months and I've lost my extra senses," Rocky told him. "I didn't want to face the two of them, but I know I won't last much longer. I'm so tired all the time, and it's become a struggle to even go to work. I put in my notice because I honestly fear I won't make it home."

"Why, why would she reject you? She's a werewolf too, she had to know how hard it would be on you," Dad muttered. "Although, even I didn't know it would possibly kill you."

"I don't know, and having no more feelings for her, I don't care," Rocky told his dad. He glanced down at the woman in his arms, the woman he loved, and kissed the top of her head. "I have found someone to love who is good for me, and to me, in Layla."

His dad nodded tears in his eyes. "Okay, son. We should go eat now I guess, or at least try to eat."

Rocky nodded and watched his dad shift into his wolf and runoff. The moving of Layla's head had him glancing down at her once more.

Layla looked up and asked, "Did you mean it? Do you love me?"

He smiled, kissing her forehead. "I do, and I think I have for a while now, I just didn't know how to tell you. I knew there were things I needed you to know first."

"Yeah, that was a pretty big thing, that you're a werewolf."

"I was, not anymore though," he told her sadly. He missed his wolf so much, and he felt like half a person almost without it.

Layla took a deep breath and raised up to kiss him. He tilted his head, deepening the kiss and trying to put all the love he had for her in it. Layla was breathless when she pulled back and said, "We should go in before they send out a search party."

So, taking her hand, he led her back to the house. Stepping in the back door, they found everyone at the table. All conversation stopped, and everyone stared.

"I'm guessing Dad told all of you," Rocky said, his shoulders squared as if ready for battle. "If he did, you need to just let it go, and let's have a good day."

Mom and his sisters stared at him with tears in their eyes.

His brothers-in-law just stared at the table because they honestly didn't know him well.

The kids just looked confused at the adults.

Johnny's face held guilt, but Jennifer's face? Well, Rocky wasn't sure what the look on her face meant. Maybe she really did need her second mate to be whole, but it wasn't his problem. He was just here to try and make it through Thanksgiving.

Finally, the meal was over. Hardly anything was eaten and there wasn't much talking going on either.

Rocky had had enough, so throwing down his napkin, he stood. "I'm sad that this has happened to me. Losing my wolf was the worst, but there is nothing that can change it now."

"Yes, yes, there is," Johnny yelled as he too stood up. "You can accept Jennifer as your mate and your wolf will come back to you, you won't die."

"It doesn't work that way, Johnny, and you know it," Rocky told him. "Not only that but there is no mating bond anymore, I have no feelings for her, at all. Not only that, but I love Layla, and I want to spend whatever time I have left with her. I don't know for sure if I'll even die, I could live I suppose, but I'll be human."

"Do you feel your wolf at all anymore?" Mom asked.

He nodded. "I do. He's in the back of my mind, but he no longer rouses as he used to when the family was nearby. I haven't been able to shift to his form for a while now because he's too weak." He turned and took Layla's hand as he said, "Come, let's go. I'm tired and need to rest."

"You can use the guest room, son," Mom said.

"No, I rented us a room in town," Rocky said. "I'd rather go there but, thank you."

"Will we see you again before you leave?" Dad asked.

"I don't know, I'll call later and let you know what our plans are," Rocky said. Then he took Layla's hand and led her out the door to his truck.