Chapter 11 - Reparation

Zachary was perplexed.

You hadn't denied the chains binding your wings, not made a fuss about the canons being aimed at you, nor seemingly acknowledged the shouting match happening between two groups that had formed.

One, donning the crest of two roses on a shield, the Garrison Regiment who still held the cannons in place and stood tense, blades drawn and some shaking as the soldiers took in the sight of, well, you.

The other, donned the crest of a horse with a singular horn on his head, you remember a fairy tale book with a similar description and illustration had called it a 'unicorn' you think? In your opinion it had sounded a lot weirder then it looked.

But even he could see, deep in your eyes, the disgust boiling just underneath.

And for once, he could understand it.

By all accounts you're little...rampage, for lack of a better word, was small, contained and thanks to the Scouting Regiment had caused minimal loss of life. Witnesses confirm that as wild as you were, once you had killed the cattle and those in the street, you left in rapid succession.

Even though he knew most of those witnesses where biased in your favour.

Though this scouting expedition to find you, the one he himself technically forced, cost more then four times the loss of human life.

And you resented them for it, resented him.

It was normal for humans to hate one another, but to see a creature like the black scaled being before him, bearing down with such malevolence pouring out of them was suffocating.

And the only thing keeping him safe was your word.

Well, it made him realise how mortal he really was, and that for all he knew, you blamed him for the deaths of your family.

Yes, family, there was no denying it anymore. The scouts had shown up, you in tow, and all but threatened to start an all out war when the Garrison almost nailed you in the head with a high explosive shot from the cannons.

Thank the Walls they were notoriously inaccurate, else those same men and women would have been nothing but limp bodies if the Scouts had caught them.

The only reason they weren't, was because you let yourself be taken into custody. They used what little they could use to detain you, and you stayed true to your word by not escaping.

Zachary was no fool, you could've broken from those haphazard restraints easily, so the mere fact you were willing to go along with this settled his mind greatly. You obviously weren't a mindless monster, whatever the Garrison and MP's in the crowd behind him said.

The scouts didn't budge either, silent and stony with the exception of Hange who never left her child's side and the two newcomers who were watching , one with obvious interest and the other with annoyance.

"Pyxis! Nile! Get your soldiers under control this instant!"

The portly man growled, turning to face the two shouting factions, or more specifically their leaders as you followed his gaze yourself to see who he was speaking too.