Chapter 45 - Gambles

ابدأ من البداية

"They're stronger than they look," James growls. "Even in pieces."

"Is that so?" you counter, growing combative. "You alone almost took out their leader. The almighty Captain America. And without your connection to him, you would have succeeded. So what makes you think they'd have any chance against ten of you? Or a hundred of you? Thousands?"

"The Tressis can't get to it without me," James says, lip curled.

"Supposedly. But what if they get to you when we try to go back?" you chastise. "Have you forgotten that my aliases were on the TV, Barnes? That information could have only come from inside the Hold. The Tressis has another mole and we don't know who it is. Not to mention that everyone there could be after me too."

"Beyond your aliases on TV, we haven't seen a single sign of them," James counters with a scoff. "You really think your people are still after you?"

"I shot a Spectre. And I shot-," your voice breaks, and you swallow with a grimace before continuing. "I s-shot Kentay. And Gabe, the Director of the whole damn thing, got caught in the crossfire. They all died because of me," you hiss, an aching anger bubbling in your temples. "It was the first assassination of a Company Director since Director Pinkerton in 1884. And even though it was an accident, that's what they'll call it. I won't be welcome there. And my presence won't be kept a secret if I'm spotted."

"Then we infiltrate quietly," he says.

"No," you say staunchly, crossing your arms. "I won't put us at risk for something so inconsequential."

"Inconsequential?" James growls, his brow furrowing. "You don't even care that you have three pills left, Y/n! That's six weeks. Twelve at most."

"Then we have six weeks to find the biofile," you grumble. "Twelve at most."

You turn your back on James and head for the stairs when a quiet voice stops you.

"No."

You stop and glance over your shoulder at the soldier that stands frozen in the middle of the room, fists balled at his side and shoulders tense. He turns in place and locks eyes with you - his normally light, ice-blue eyes have turned a dark and steely grey.

"We don't have time to argue about this," you say from the bottom step coldly.

"I said no, Y/n," James says, his jaw tense. "I won't do this. Not without you."

"That's unbelievably naïve, Barnes," you condemn. "I'm already dead. You can't change that. You have to face the fact that you will have to do this without me. Sooner rather than later."

James' lip twitches into an angry snarl as a low growl emanates from deep inside his chest. His eyes darken as he balls his fists at his side.

"Oh please," you scoff, rolling your eyes at his primal aggression. "You need to focus," you snap. "You've completely lost sight of our priorities! Do you have any idea what's at stake here?!"

"Yeah, I do!" he shouts angrily, taking you by surprise as his face grows red, the veins in his neck bulging. "Your life, Y/n!"

"My life is inconsequential and already past the point of saving!" you shout back even louder, fists curled. "That file is the only thing that matters!"

"YOU ARE THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS!"

His chest heaves as strands of brown hair falls into his face and the room falls silent. Your brow furrows as you watch his gaze flit quickly between your own.