Chapter 5. Make A New Reality

This may be way too long....and I'm adding another chapter...

--------------------------------------------------

There was something surreal about seeing Zhao Yunlan in sunlight, after a year of chasing him in dreams.

Shen Wei had carried him back to the courtyard house, frantic and equally determined to bring him somewhere safe, in all this madness. The demon had vanished, so in the bright light of afternoon, he tucked him into bed, relieved that he only seemed to have been knocked unconscious. His pulse and breathing were normal and there were no signs of any injuries.

Taking him to hospital perhaps would be more sensible, but at this point, Shen Wei wasn't sure if his lover even had a normal system to begin with. He is a nine-tailed fox after all. And what would he do if the hospital discovered some anomaly?  No. Better to keep him safe, unless it became clear that there was something genuinely wrong with him

Zhao Yunlan mumbled as Shen Wei deposited him on the mattress but didn't fight, as he was lowered, his arm slipping from Shen Wei's neck. He didn't stir as Shen Wei  gently removing his steel-toe boots either, a smile curving his pale lips as he saw the striped socks, Shen Wei had bought him last year.

He ran a finger over the largest stripe along the plane of his left foot, pleased when Zhao Yunlan twitched

He ran a finger over the largest stripe along the plane of his left foot, pleased when Zhao Yunlan twitched. Why wear them, if he didn't care for Shen Wei?

Pulling the covers over him, he watched Zhao Yunlan release the tension in his frame, going limp as he surrendered to sleep.

Now what? He asked himself as he stepped back.

Action was always easier and in that, Shen Wei found a few of his answers. He spoke with Madam Chu on the phone, awareness that the government were still monitoring them, keeping the script clear. Certain key words disguising questions.

"Fei Mengmin has just been to see her mother, with her dad Fei Wuji." She reported cheerfully and Shen Wei closed his eyes in relief.

"That's nice." He said after a second. "Her mother is not well. She'll be so relieved to her see daughter. Did you see her?"

"Oh no. Her neighbor, she's been my friend for ages, she called me. Told me about her son. He's causing her trouble. She just mentioned seeing her. Poor child."

She arrived safe. Both well.

"Your nephew, Nianzhi has a crush on her." Shen Wei told her, thinking of the near disaster.

"Has for years. Since school I think." Madam Chu replied, "He'll be there, no doubt."

"Are you coming over for dinner Shen'er?" She asked keeping her voice light.

Is everything okay?  She was actually aiming for.

"Not tonight Auntie." He replied, his tone amused. "Maybe tomorrow I'll come over. We could have dumplings with spring onions."