Chapter 2. Blood Runs Pink In The Rain

Shangdi (literally "Highest Emperor") is the term used, mostly by Protestants for "God" in China and they are often referred to as Xīnjìao.

Shàngzhǔ ("Lord Above")

The Catholic Church prefers Tianzhu ("Lord of Heaven") making the Chinese name for Catholicism, Tianzhujiao.

jiǔwěihú - 'nine-tailed fox'

==========================---------------------

The skies had threatened rain for days, a gloomy grey tinge to the city that fell to night time darkness so quickly, as they slowly came into autumn, the golden fun of summer gone like a nice dream.

Yue Siying stepped off the bus and glared at the sky, holding her shopping and work bag, as people milled around her on the street. Her friend and roommate, nudged her shoulder with a smile. Yang Jingjing had a smile for everything, the world always so much brighter when she was around. Helplessly, Yue Siying sighed and smiled back.

"Come on Xiao Ying, its not far now and you can soak those aching feet." She said taking her arm.

As a salon manger, she had spent her entire day on her feet, in heels her Boss felt reflected their brand and right now, the thought of a warm bowl of water felt like a temptation she couldn't refuse. Not that Jingjing was much better working at her family's jewelry shop.

"And," Yang Jingjing continued wrapping her coat tighter around her, "We'll watch something,"

"A romance." Yue Siying said just to tease, adjusting the plastic bag of groceries.

Her friend ignored that and pulled her along down the street to the steep steps that led down to what was locally called the knot of roads. It was a network of old buildings and new apartment blocks with winding narrow streets, cheerfully decorated with awnings and flower pots. Their apartment building was a short walk down three of these alleyways, past the begonia flowers and the ancient fruit seller's shop.

As they made their way, laughing now at Jingjing's latest customer story with tacky engagement rings, a sudden chill had them huddling deeper into their rain coats that offered no protection

"It's not even winter!" Jingjing complained quietly, clutching her bag to her chest. "I think I'll be commandeering a bowl too!"

Yue Siying shivered and hurried their pace. "Maybe it's going to be a bad storm."

The dusky sky had promised at least another hour or two of sunlight, but the streets seemed to be swallowed in encroaching darkness. It's okay, Yue Siying told herself. They were one street away and the street lights hanging from the buildings were enough to see by.

Until they too were lost to darkness.

Jingjing stumbled and Yue Siying righted her, shivering. Her feet in these cursed high heels felt like ice! They couldn't really see where they were going and felt for the walls, trying to find the glass textured door to their apartment block that must be somewhere close.