20

Abby: Data indicates that the violent criminals in the group are eight times more likely to have terminated signals. We believe that this means that the kids are taking off the wristbands by choice.

Kane:  So how do you explain Wells?

Jaha:   Kane is right. My son would... Never take his wristband off voluntarily.

Abby:  Both our children have done things that we could never have predicted. The point holds. These children need more time.

Kane:  We don't have time. Engineering needs six months to fix life support, and we'll be out of oxygen in four. Nobody wants to do this, but the inescapable fact is that for every day we delay, ten more people will need to be sacrificed. So today it's two hundred and nine, tomorrow it's two hundred and nineteen. The day after that is two hundred and twenty nine. We're the ones who need more time. I move that we vote now.

"He's really annoying" Indra said bluntly with her signature deadpan voice.

Female Council Member:  I second that.

Senior Councilor Member:  Very well. The matter before us requires a four-vote majority to pass. A vote in favor is to vote to cull two hundred and nine citizens of the Ark from the supply grid in order to extend life support for those who remain by six months. All those in favor?

Kane:  Aye.

Senior Councilor Member:  Aye.

Female Council Member :  Aye.

Senior Councilor Member: All those opposed?

Abby:  Nay.

Male Council Member:  Nay.

Female Council Member #2: Nay.

Senior Council Member: Three votes to three. The Chancellor will break the tie.

Jaha:  We didn't ask for this. Ours was to be a transitional generation... Ensuring that three generations from now mankind could go home. But everything has changed, and we will either be the generation that sees the human race return to Earth, or upon whose watch it finally ends. My son is already down there. I sent him. And the truth is I don't know if he is alive or dead. But I still have hope.

Senior Council Member: How does the Chancellor vote?

Jaha:  I don't.

Senior Council Member: Sir, if you abstain, the vote ends in a tie to be automatically taken up again in ten days.

Kane:  That's ten more dead for every day.

Senior Council Member: I ask again, how does the Chancellor vote?

Jaha: The Chancellor abstains.

[Door opens]

Jaha:  You have ten days.