Happier Than Ever

Start from the beginning

"It's not even the lies that hurt you know?" MK softened her gaze. "It's the fact that you're never really emotionally prepared for someone to leave you."

I nodded, listening to her every word, and how I can relate to it on a level that rarely people ever understand unless they've experienced it themselves. Pain is pain. Sometimes, it hurts bad enough to where we start to question our self worth, and why something so painful is happening to us.

"That's the thing about pain." She says carefully. "Sometimes, the heartache will be too unbearable to the point where you have no other choice but to move on. To the point where you have to choose yourself above anyone else. Your own happiness. Your own mental health. Your own feelings. Sometimes, you have no other choice, whether you like it or not. And sometimes, you have to decide and without any regrets, you have to learn how to love yourself before giving someone the opportunity to love you for who you are."

There wasn't anything she said I didn't agree on. MK was right. But, as I kept thinking about it, maybe that's why I chose to let her go for the time being despite wanting nothing more than to be right next to her. I realized that I would constantly find myself mentally exhausted with everything, and it was hurting my soul. So, I had to do what was best for me. Let her go. For now. If we're meant to be together, we would find our way back to each other.

_______

Another week has passed. It was the same as the other. I would go to work, Scarlett would come and visit to record her soundtrack, frequent lunch with MK, and bury myself with more potential clients. Everything came naturally. For a moment, I would find myself feeling completely okay with everything. No burden. I'm feeling better and doing great. But, underneath a good day, I still think about her.

Before work, I decided to stop by Ether's Bagel Shop. It's an early work call for my team, so I decided to bring them something to eat. It's the least I could do. Like coming home after a long day, as soon as I set foot inside, I felt at peace. The familiar spell of freshly baked bagels welcomed me.

"Well, if it isn't Y/N." Oscar greeted me with the same bright smile. "You're here so early today."

"Work stuff." I chuckled. "But, can I get four orders of number three?"

"Of course. Coming right up!"

I looked around me as soon as he disappeared in the kitchen. I made my way to the wall where you could put heart sticky notes, and write whatever it is that you want to write. There were a few wishes, thank yous, quotes, and miscellaneous words scattered around the wall. I read a few of them, but just when I was about to turn around, something caught my eye.

I know the world hasn't been kind to you, but above everything else, I hope that one day, you'll find the happiness you truly deserve. I'm sorry for hurting you and your kind heart. But, just know, it was real to me too.

A single tear escaped upon my cheek. I never knew words could touch my heart the way that it did. I could feel my heart glowing, pulling me in. An emotion so robust, spilling in between the cracks of my soul comes light.

"She wrote it a few days ago." Oscar said quietly, approaching me carefully. "Lizzie, she comes here often. And it's not just to eat my tasty bagels." I chuckled at his remark. "I think some souls have a way of connecting without our knowledge. That's why you can meet someone for the first time, but inside you just know. You know it's not the first time you've felt them. That's what she said that felt about you."