As I let the past thoughts fade out of my mind, I honed in on my wolf, who seemed content in a room with our mate. Shifting into our wolf form was a lot about focusing on our wolves themselves, something I had nearly forgotten when I took those supplements. Now that it wasn't a muddy picture of him, shifting was much easier, still awkward and uncomfortable, of course, but worlds better than before.

Simon was already in his wolf form when I turned around. "You make it seem so easy," I mused.

He shrugged before walking toward me. "That wasn't so bad yourself. Shall we?"

I followed him out of the room, walking down the hall just as the guards opened the door for us. They bowed just as the other guard had from the other entrance.

Simon slowed his pace as we neared the tree line, brushing up against my side. He pulled ahead to look at me with a curious glint in his eyes, his tail swaying back and forth playfully. "Race to the lake?"

I didn't even have time to respond when he turned and took off, disappearing into the low shrubs. Not nearly as fast as Simon, I followed after him, my wolf urging me to chase. Without the suppressants, his scent trail was as clear as could be; if I had known the woods as extensive as he did, I probably could've followed after him blind.

But quickly, I realized, this wasn't a race after all. Simon would slow his pace, brushing up against me before splitting off and increasing his speed again, rousing my wolf to chase after him. This was completely different from when we had been chased down by Michael's wolves, sprinting for our lives in the dense parts of the forest. Here, Simon would take the sparser areas, occasionally loop back towards us to get beside us again, something my wolf was howling for joy over.

It didn't take long for us to get tired from running around; after all, we weren't young pups anymore. The strain in my legs wasn't something I was used to, and I was sure the same was to be said about Simon. He slowed his pace to a trot before walking in line with me, his shoulders not leaving my side.

Once we reached a clearing to take a break, he scoped out the area, checking our surroundings before turning to me. "There are fewer rogues around. Hardly got a whiff of any on the way here."

"Xavier's new programs."

He tilted his head. "I'm impressed. It hasn't been that long. A lot more members then?"

I nodded. "Some chose to live amongst the humans after getting enough resources. Others have gone to different packs."

"The forest must be enjoying it too." He looked around. "More time to grow with less foot traffic and more animals. Even the air seems different."

"It does." I hadn't noticed it when I visited the forest the last time, but it did seem different. "Refreshing."

He agreed, looking around and soaking in the atmosphere. His nose held high, while his ears twitched when the trees swayed from the wind. His fur rustling in the wind, highlighting the shades of brown in his coat, something I hadn't gotten to admire the last time. It was stunning to look at, and if the sun had still been up, I was certain the colors of honey and amber would have been as illuminating as the way his eyes did.

Simon tilted his head, his lips upturned, when he caught me staring. "How are you feeling? Up for meeting him again?"

I blinked, tilting my head. There was always a chance that I'd lose control, that my wolf would slip out. But I trusted Simon, and I was sure his wolf was as patient and understanding as Simon's; after all, they both had gone through so much over the years. Trusting my wolf was my battle, something I had to conquer eventually.