Chapter 6

The water was like a blanket, calming, heavy and warm. Her body was a silhouette, something out of a movie and she felt cleaner than she did prior. In a way the water was washing her sins away, her hands clean, her face cleared as she held her breath and ducked under the water, lathering her hair in its warmness. A great gasp overtook her as she came up from the water, her pale skin highlighted by the bright blue sky and the dark blue water she was floating in accentuated it more. Jac's eyes closed, she was solemn, felt immensely disturbed and indifferent to what she did before. People changed, she knew that now, everything seemed to be setting in and she seemed to create her own answers in her head that she needed knowing it would be impossible to find the true ones.

"Why are you doing this?"

"I'm hoping the water will drown out your incandescent droning"

"You're all heart"

"Poor joke Fletcher"

The smile danced over her face, her body floating on the water as she allowed the sun to beam down on her. She watched Fletch slide into the water and float beside her, her hand hooking around his as they floated together. An undeniable urge overcame her so she released her hand and swam away from him, Fletch didnt move though, he was still, like a statue and she shook her head gently before swimming deeper into the water. Her white stained dress trailed behind her, almost elegant in the water as it floated around, every now and then her limbs peeking out from under the dress as it swamped her body.

"There are better ways to bow out"

"I just want it to end"

Her raised eyebrow obviously got to him, her nonchalance. She had her plan sorted out in her head, not that she was sure what was going on in her head. Taking a large gulp of air she ducked under the water, eyes open as she looked through the dark blue waters, a prominent trail of blood from her head and her fingers trembling as she brought them up to the incision in her head. Naturally, she disturbed the blood, her eyes closing when she noticed the water turn a brown colour as her blood flooded the liquid around her, it was murky but there was no fear there, nothing. There was no need for forgiveness or regret, she just had to get out of this place one way or another. With that she felt Fletch take her hand and pull her to the surface, he cupped her face in his hand and pressed his forehead against hers, his thumbs caressing her skin gently taking in her drowning blue lips.

"Let me go"

"I can't"

"Please"

Her eyes bored into his, her teeth chattering as the water turned stealthily cold, her eyes sore and tired. He watched, mesmerised, at her eyelashes flickering upwards as she looked at him in the eye again. Gingerly she leaned forward and pressed her lips against his, both sets of eyes fluttering shut at the contact. Jac wrapped her hand around his wrist and he gripped onto hers as she pulled him under the water, both of their legs kicking to guide them down to the bottom. She paused wrapping her legs around his body, Fletch's arms wrapped around her torso, his fingers gliding through a part of her hair as she rested her chin on his shoulder, her face turning to press into the side of his neck. He found himself taking her up to the surface, holding her in his arms as her head flopped backwards. He cradled her in his arms, the sun blaring down on their bodies as he held her waiting for a sign of life.

"Jac?"

He tries but there was nothing, he frowned and no emotion overcame him, there was just nothing at all. Gently he walked out of the water, holding her in his arms, the extra weight there of the fluid that had seeped into both their clothes. Somehow she, herself, seemed lighter than before as he held her. The sound of the water swooshing as he emerged from it, smiling sadly he saw Kian's lifeless body laying there on the muddied grass and then gently, supporting Jac's head he placed her down beside his body, taking her arm and draping it over his chest, her head resting on Kian's shoulder. He moved Kian's head gently so it was resting against the top of her head and smiled at how serene they looked before Emma caught his eye as she skipped towards him.

"Is mummy safe now?"

"Yeah"

"I love her"

"I think we all love her"

He smiled slightly and Emma nods, she slides her hand into his and looks up at him, he looks down at her before they both peer at Jac and Kian's lifeless bodies on the floor by the water. Fletch nodded at her and Emma nodded back allowing him to guide her away in the opposite direction and he smiled at the colour in her complexion back and her eyes brighter compared to the dullness that they were prior. Above, the sun shone brighter and the birds chirped for the first time since they had been there. Everything happens for a reason, people knew that now.

The End