Chapter 4

Hoping for the thing she heard the most in her life; a flicker of a heartbeat. She knew it wouldn't come and that hurt, she knew he was dead so she got up straightened her dress out smearing blood and dirt into the not-so-white material anymore. Her feet found themselves walking through the ground, the mud comforting as she felt like she had been here ages, it was a staple to life in this place - whatever it was. She spun around trying to locate anything, looking back she saw Kian's lifeless body on the floor, still where she left him, which in itself was comforting enough for her, especially in this position.

"Emma? Where are you?"

Whilst the words tumbled out of her mouth, deep exhaustion took over her body. She felt awfully frail at that moment and her eyes drooped shut out of tiredness and fatigue. Her eyes lit up as she heard the faint giggles of her daughter's laugh, her mind frantically trying to locate her knowing she was with Fletch. Trust was going out of the window, she felt immensely distraught and scared by the events that she witnessed, was she really this tainted? Apparently so, even that was darkly amusing.

"You dont have to be scared, sometimes these things happen"

"Sacha, please"

"What do you want Jac? This was your choice, your decision, we supported you...and now...?"

"Am I dead?"

Her words cut through the air like a knife just as the heavens opened and her almost-dry-hair was sodden by the hefty raindrops from the now dark clouds. Jac's eyes closed, her skin smeared with blood and dirt, muddy smears over her face as the trauma of the situation set in, the fear. Looking around frantically, she could tell she was losing it, her mind was whirring on and on, making up scenarios in her head which was ironic really as she was in a fabricated scenario in her head; she did wonder, how it seemed she could be two versions of herself at once.

"Emma!"

Her voice was hoarse, it was tiring and she couldnt stop it from breaking any more. She was moving in a way that wasnt her own accord, her eyes glued shut as she headed towards Kian's lifeless body, her knees sinking into the ground beside him, yet more mud ruining the illusion of her white dress. Somehow she found her hands constricting around his head, cupping his face in her soft, filthy palms as the anger sifted through her body. They trailed down to his shoulders and she shook his body willing the impossible to happen, he didnt wake up though.

"The simplest of things dont work here"

"Shut up!"

"You need my help"

"No! I dont Fletch, I dont need anything from you, I just need answers and no one's giving them to me. Just stop confusing me, both you and Sacha, you're confusing me"

"That's because you are the one with the answers, you just dont know where to find them"

What on earth was that meant to mean? Her eyes shifted from Kian's corpse to Fletch's somewhat taunting stare. How she seethed was an understatement, she stood up and walked over to him, placing her hands on either of one of his shoulders before forcing her lips against his trying to provoke anything in her mind. A snicker caught her attention to Emma who was skipping towards them both, her hand being securely placed in Fletch's. Jac looked between them, nothing roused within her at that moment apart from an unbearable wave of pain searing through the middle of her mind, her hand coming up to her head as she screeched, her body stumbling backwards slightly, her eyes misty as she watched Fletch and Emma look at each other.

"Please make it stop, you need to help me"

"You have all the answers you need, times running out Jac"

"Ah!"

Her shriek echoed across the plains and Emma saw the pain in her mother's eyes, her hand releasing from Fletch's as she heads over to stand in front of her pained mother, slipping her hand into hers, she stood there rooted beside her mother, Fletch narrowing his eyes at Emma's paling complexion. Emma gently tugged on her mother's arm once more and Jac followed her like some sort of lost puppy, it just sat with her that her daughter knew more than she did about this situation, even if she had created this tainted place in her head.

"Uncle Sacha said we had to be kind to you"

"Why?"

"Because you're dying"

That cut her deep, her own spineless nature in her reality coming to the surface as her subconscious, or whatever it was, told her daughter the truth. It made her shudder at how her daughter just nonchalantly shrugged at the fact she probably wasnt going to be there to see her next birthday, go to university, get married - all those important life events; gone, there was no getting that back. The tears filled her eyes, quicker than the numerous times they had before. Emma was still tugging her through the wet grass, skipping practically as her mother tried to keep up with her. It felt as if they were going on for miles, further than she had been in this place anyway. Emma paused in her movements, bending down in front of a pool of water, Jac taking residence on the floor opposite her daughter, the puddle of water between them both.

"Put your hand in, mummy"

"No"

"Why not? Sacha said we had to be nice to you, Kian said we have to be nice to you...so did Uncle Fletch, please put your hand in"

Jac couldnt have been more confused if she had tried and watching Emma hover her hand on the surface of the water, the determination in her face to get her mother to do the same as their mirroring dresses soaked in the wet dirt beneath them. Unable to find the motivation either down to the lack of strength or fear, she couldnt quite give her daughter what she wanted just yet even if she was pining to. The intrigue was there though, she didnt like to admit it but it was and that was something that made her feel uneasy. But the way her daughter's head flopped to one side, a smear of mud over her cheek and her hair blowing gently in the wind, her eyes boring into her mothers - Jac was melting, and fast. So she put her hand into the water, copying Emma and smiling slightly as her daughter took her other hand across the puddle, the joined hands hovering just about the water. Following her child's ways was hard but when she looked down into the puddle another shuddering pain ached in her chest, and that searing pain in her head was present. A smirk was prevalent on Emma's face though and when Jac looked down into the puddle, the reflection it gave off...and that left her to question: what sort of deluded hell was this?