Chapter 1

A/N: Time to something a little bit different compared to my usual baby fics

Her toes sunk into the mud beneath, the borderline squelchy, damp, earthy smell it gave off causing her nostrils to flare. The brightness of her eyes illuminated as they captured the tall pine trees, her fingers stretching involuntarily as the cool air swiped through each gap between them. Unable to resist her head tilting up, she smiled somewhat appreciatively at the pale blue sky above her, the sun beaming down on her pale skin and the grass stretched out in front of her. A glance towards the floor she wiggled her toes into the mud, almost grounding herself in that moment and the more she examined her body, the white drapes of tulle material covering her body, the straps of it over her shoulders, the way it twisted over her chest and streamlined down her body, hovering just over her bare feet.

"Mummy!"

Her head turned and a broad smile displayed across her face, her cheeks raising as she smiled widely and walked towards the chirpy voice of her daughter, she glances down at her feet before gulping at the muddied earth lathering her feet, staining the white dress she was wearing. Gingerly she picked the dress up with both of her hands as she tumbled towards the echoing voice of her little girl before pausing when she reached a stretch of water and then she looked up to nothing, it was just eerily empty so she released the dress before wincing and hissing at a sharp pain in her head. Gingerly she moves her fingers through her hair before hissing and pulling her hand away seeing the deep red blood covering her fingers in this almost gooey consistency.

"Hello?!"

Her voice faded at the end, she frowned slightly before dipping her foot into the water, she frowns slightly before wiping her hand on the material of her dress, her long hair catching the pale sunlight half-hidden by a cloud. She turned around but there was just a vast stretch of grass in front of her eyes. Looking left to right provided her with no hope, just vast woodland and she frowned slightly before bending down and placing her hand in the water in front of her and soon enough she turned on her heel and came back the way she came, her dress ruined even more than it was before along with a smear of her blood.

"Emma!?"

"She's not here"

"W-What?"

She stutters turning around trying to locate the voice, her eyes narrowing as thick fog descends on the plains in front of her, once more she hisses, her hand flying to her head as more blood pools over her scalp, smearing all through her hair. Her nose scrunches up in displeasure and once again she smeared the blood all over her white dress. Somehow the sun was still beaming down on her like a spotlight, she looked up and around before noticing the shadow behind her. The simplest of steps took her towards the shadow, her dress being torn through the mud beneath her feet.

"Where am I?"

"Somewhere safe"

"Hang on...Kian, is that you?"

She didnt receive an answer nor did she want one if she was honest with herself. Suddenly she felt her heart rate rising, her breathing becoming quicker as the realisation set in that she was somewhere she wasn't meant to be. Her feet found themselves running back towards the water, her feet being submerged in it before she noticed to the side of her that there was a wooden jetty to the side of her so she dragged herself through the water and walked across the splintering wooden planks until she got to the end.

"You're safe here"

"This is obviously hell; am I dead?"

"Not exactly"

"Where's Emma, Kian?"

"Safe"

"Where is my daughter!"

Her eyes were glassy as she caught the attention of something rustling in the woodland beside her, she had to squint to see it; Emma, standing there, the majority of her body hidden by the trunk of a tree as she peered around it. A flicker of a smile spread across Jac's face and those nerves dissipated into nothingness before her eyes turned to meet Kian's who was standing in front of her. She mirrored his stance, her arms crossed over her chest, an eyebrow raised in a demanding way, it was obvious she wanted an explanation.

"Where am I?"

"In your head, I think? I'm not entirely sure"

"I'm in my own head, somehow I dont think that I think about a load of trees, a pale blue sky and grass that stretches for miles is in my head, Madani"

"It's nice to know I'm in your head though, and Emma"

"Why wouldn't my own daughter be in my head?"

"You tell me"

She faltered slightly, how did he know about her reluctance to admit the truth to her little girl, could he really see everything that she had been going through? Luckily Emma caught her attention once more as she skipped out to stand beside Kian, sliding her hand into his as she looked into her mother's eyes. Jac gingerly stepped forward but Emma smirked slightly and skipped off into the distance leaving Jac standing right in front of Kian. Feeling his soft fingers trail up her arm made goosebumps alight her skin until he reached her head. She felt him move her hair around taking in the pooling blood over her scalp.

"Interesting"

"Is it?"

"Very, at least you actually got into theatre, things were looking sketchy for a while weren't they?"

"Where am I?"

"In your head, deep inside of your head, in a place where very few people are or have got to"

"I dont understand"

"You're not meant to"

"Am I even alive?"

It was barely a whisper and Kian looks at her, he raised an eyebrow at her querying the situation she was in, when he was in her position he was confused as well. He slipped his hand into hers and she wrapped her fingers around his before closing her eyes. Just about, in the distance, she could make out Emma dancing around, giggling, she was happy and it made her heart swell. It wasnt long before Kian led her to the end of the jetty, he sat down, his legs dangling off the edge and she copies him when she sat down, the ends of her dress dropping into the water; the tide was high.

"Sometimes things change here"

"Kian what is this place?"

"Safety, well except because you're undergoing brain surgery things can sometimes get a bit...disturbed"

"Disturbed?"

And just like that, the heavens opened and Kian rolled his eyes gesturing to the raindrops pelting down on them. Neither of them shivered, these raindrops, they were warm and comforting. Naturally, Jac found her head resting on Kian's shoulder, she winced slightly as the blood seeped into his shirt, the material providing an interesting type of swab for her incision. Their fingers linked once more and they looked out over the lake as the rain pounded down into the water, the rivulets trailing down their faces and soaking their hair. Somehow their eyes connected and they smiled at each other, they were communicating in a telepathic way, she was convinced and was confirmed when Kian pressed her lips against hers, they kissed softly and their eyes fluttered shut. Maybe this place wasnt so bad after all?