Chapter 14: The Darkness in Her Head

Levi POV:

I have been watching my squad train all day, except for when they went to have lunch or to eat. My focus is mainly on (Y/n), watching her every move. We haven't really spoken much since last night, just some snotty remarks back and forth. I want to know what is going on in that head of hers, but I doubt she will even tell me. She doesn't even tell her friends much.

Training is now done for the day, and everyone leaves to go have dinner and rest. I sit at my normal table with Hanji, Erwin, and the other higher ups. As I am eating my gruel, my eyes are on (Y/n) and her table, the others seem to be laughing at something, but (Y/n) just has her normal expressionless face, this morning though she did smile infront of them, before her scowl had returned. It was a beautiful, toothy smile, one she has not shown in a long time. Sure she smiled a little to me, but it wasn't a true smile like she had this morning, before wiping it away. The last time I had saw her truly smile, was the day before Isabel, Farlan, and I left her in the underground.

But even from here I can see the happiness in her (e/c) eyes, but behind that happiness lays darkness, that I wish to save her from if she would give me the chance. My thoughts and starring is cut off when a hand is waved infront of me, and I turn to glare at the brunette. "Finally Levi, you have been starring at your girlfriend for like 20 minutes." she laughs "She is not my girlfriend." I snap back. "She isn't your girlfriend yet shorty, but soon I am sure that will change.".

"Tch, whatever four-eyes." I scoff and stand, as she begins to whine more about it. I clean my plate, since no one else is able to clean dishes properly, and make my way back to my office, to finish some more paperwork. I sit down at my desk, and began to fill out paperwork, and make sure I have things ready to go, for my scouting mission with (Y/n) outside the walls, tomorrow.

After a few hours, I finally finish my paperwork, and finished getting things ready for tomorrow. I glance out my window and see that the sun has gone down. I sigh and make my way to the kitchen to make some tea, as I am making it my mind drifts to (Y/n). 'I wonder if she is still awake.' I think to myself, and before I had realized it, I had made two teas instead of one. I sigh and make my way back up stairs, but something catches my eye.

The door at the end of the hallway that leads to the roof, is slightly open. Being cautious I open the door, and climb the stairs. I open the door at the top and peak my head out, I see someone sitting on top of the small wall, looking up at the sky. I quietly walk towards them, and then I realize its her. "What are you doing here brat?" I ask and she turns her head towards me. "Star gazing, I can't sleep, so here I am." She shrugs and turns back around, I sit next to her on the wall, and hand her a cup of tea. she carefully takes the cup from my hand "You made tea for me? Is it poisoned?".

"No, brat if I wanted to kill you, I would simply feed you to a titan tomorrow." She nods and we both look up at the stars, sipping our tea. I then broke the silence, asking a question that has been on my mind since we brought her here from the underground "What happened to you after we left?". She sighs, and her shoulders drop.

"After you guys left, I had to steal a lot, and take on more work. I-I became a prostitute for awhile, and stole on the side. I had to kill several people, and then be used as a toy. My father had even found me. He almost killed me, but I was able to break free. I killed him without a thought, and continued my work. I eventually quit being a prostitute, I couldn't take it anymore. The men were pigs, and the money was horrible. I then went back to our old house, and got the ODM gear you left behind, to make stealing easier. Then you guys caught me. It's that simple."

I ball my hand into a tight fist, I hated she had to go through that alone. I knew what the prostitute life was like, as my mother had been one. I am pissed at myself for leaving her there for so long that she had no other option. She sighed again "I have nightmares, more than I did back when we lived together. My father haunts my dreams, the death of my mother, the bodies of the people I murdered, and the faces of the men who did whatever they wanted to me. I don't even know what life would be like, without all this darkness in my head.". She set her tea down next to her and her eyes back onto the stars, her (e/c) eyes sparkled as the stars shown in them.

I moved closer to her "I am sorry." I sighed to her. A familiar pain was aching in my chest, but I ignored it. "It's okay Levi, I understand why you had to leave. You wanted to protect me."

"But by leaving you, I hurt you. You are the one person I wanted to protect the most, but I failed." She put her arm around my shoulders "It's okay Tic Tac, you can make it up to me now. Before one of us dies on a mission or something, don't waste the time we now have. You are and will always be my best friend.". She was right, I could make it up to her now, but does she really only see me as a friend? I wanted to be more, but I will take what I can get I guess.

Our conversation died off, and we sat there in a comfortable silence. I turned around and hopped off the wall, and grabbed our now empty cups, before leaving I stated "Don't forget brat, our scouting missions start tomorrow morning, Don't be late.".

"I won't be late shorty."

"Tch." with that, I left her sitting, staring at the stars, while I cleaned our cups, and went back into my office.

----The Next Morning----

I glare at her table, as I drink my tea. 'Where is she?' I thought, I haven't seen her since last night. She should be here eating breakfast with her friends, but she isn't. I stand up, and march over to her friends "Brats, where is miss grumpy?" I snap at them. They salute before Armin answers "I saw her leaving the mess hall earlier, she said she was going outside to tack up her horse.".

"Tch, did she say if she ate breakfast or not?" I shot him a glare "N-no sir".

"Tch" I huffed and walked away, and out to the stables. Sure enough, there she was with her horse "Brat." I called to her, she didn't turn around "Little late, aren't you Tic Tac?" I simply roll my eyes, and walk over to my horse's stall. "Did you atleast eat breakfast?" I ask while throwing my saddle on my black stallion, "Yes, shorty I did. I ate before everyone else got up.".

"Good, I don't need to hear you complain about how hungry you are while we are in titan territory." I swear I heard her giggle. "Aww, shorty were you worried about me?" I just huff my response, and finish tying my saddle bags onto my horse, and led it outside. She followed me, with her white mare.

I hopped on my horse "Hurry up, I want to get back before sun down." She just shakes her head, and she mounts her mare. "You know shorty, I am surprised you can get up on your horse, without a step stool." She giggles, it seems she is in a better mood today, than she has been. I just tch' her, and we start riding towards Trost's gate, to leave the walls.