xii. the army's revival

◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐

◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐

Silence took over in the Room of Requirement as the five stared at the wall.

It was a day before the Christmas break and the day they had set on their coins for the first meeting to bring back Dumbledore's army. They were nervously waiting for the others to come. Word was spread throughout Hogwarts, but it was a good thing that no one approached them because they knew that it was dangerous to do so. They couldn't risk revealing their identities and give the Carrows another reason to torture them.

Thankfully, the Carrows had no way of proving that it was Jemina and Ginny who sprayed that even if they insisted it was them. It was odd that Snape was asking for proof that they did it when the Carrows reported it to him. He just cleaned it up with a wave of his wand and left it at that.

"Is anyone even coming?" Noah frowned from where he was sitting. "It's already 10 minutes past 9."

"Let's just wait for a little more." Neville said in an optimistic tone though he too was worried that nobody would take the risk to join them. After all, they couldn't build up an army with only five people. And the next moments passed with the five still waiting and losing hope with every second that passed. Maybe, they wouldn't be able to fight back after all... Maybe, it really was just them that were still fighting for Harry, Deanna, and all of those who were against Voldemort.

"You know what, maybe we should go. It's getting late, and – "

Neville's words were cut off by the familiar sound of the Room of Requirement appearing. In their surprise, they shared wide-eyed glances before standing up and readying their wands. They had no idea who was coming so they needed to be ready for what was to come... They stuck together, waiting for the door to open and reveal who was there.

"We're here."

The five leaders of Dumbledore's Army sighed in relief and grinned when they saw Seamus come in with Ernie, Justin, Susan, and Hannah. Someone came. The fire wasn't out after all. It was still burning, and the hope was firing up again when more members slowly filed into the room in groups. By the time the clock struck half past 9, they counted a total of 28 members from various years and houses.

Jemina had tried to invite Pansy, Theo, Daphne, and Blaise who she knew were friends with Deanna, but they declined, saying it would be better not to have any Slytherins in their group since they were associated with the Death Eaters. But the four reassured her that they would keep their mouths shut about the group and help if ever they need it.

"So..." Neville started off nervously when everyone had settled in. He was voted to stand as the leader by Jemina, Ginny, Noah, and Luna and although he was extremely nervous, he still did what he needed to do. "As you know, the Death Eaters had taken over Hogwarts, and Nose White, You-Know-Who, is actively pursuing Deanna and Harry. We don't have them or Dumbledore to protect us anymore. I understand if some of you won't want to continue. It's scary. I'm scared, we all are scared. But I don't want to just surrender to them. If I fall, at least I fought. I would have no regrets if that happened. Like we did against Umbridge then, it's time for us to fight again. Dumbledore's Army is back."