Epilogue

Ariabella breathes in deeply, eyes closed as she savors the fresh summer warmth

Ariabella breathes in deeply, eyes closed as she savors the fresh summer warmth. A breeze dances against her hair, hanging gently over her shoulders in tight ringlet curls. She tugs her shawl tighter, knotting it in her fist. The curtains in the window brush along her back as they float with the gentle gust.

"You're awake early."

A smile spreads across her face as Elias appears behind her. He wraps his arms around her, kissing the place next to her ear.

"Good morning, my love," he whispers, as moments like these are sacred between them.

"Good morning," Ariabella whispers back, leaning into his kiss. "I just wanted to watch the sunrise. Summer is finally here."

"Mhmm."

"The Solstice Festival starts tomorrow."

"Indeed."

"And it seems like the perfect time to announce our surprise to everyone."She feels Elias pause, his arms become tense.

"What surprise?" he asks."The news of our first child," she replies, biting her lip.

Her husband turns her around, holding her shoulders as he stares into her eyes."You're sure?" he asks, lowering his voice and his hands to her waist.

"That is why I sent for the doctor," she whispers back, smiling as the tears form. "I wanted certainty before I told you."

Elias pulls her to his chest as his enchanting laughter fills her ears.

"Thank you," he says, "thank you, Ariabella."

She smiles into his shoulder, wrapping her arms around his middle. Her husband began pressing light kisses against her neck.

"We have to tell your parents," he says, pulling away. "And my father, of course."

Ariabella giggles, "Of course. Why would I think we wouldn't tell them first?"

"I do not know. I was just saying."

They share a laugh; Elias lifts her off the ground, turning her in a gentle circle.

The room fills with cheering and happy whistles. The loudest is Ariabella's little nephew, Koran, who probably has no idea why he is cheering. He clings to his mother's neck. Clara releases the boy to the floor and hurries to bring Ariabella into her embrace.

"Congratulations, my sister," she whispers with a gentle squeeze.

"Thank you," Ariabella whispers back as she pulls away. "Koran will have a playmate."

"He will have more than one playmate, but you didn't hear it from me."

"Does Pixie dust erase memory?"

"I've never tried it, but there's always a first time."

Ariabella laughs, hugging Clara once more. Even after all the years, she still finds the joke funny.

"My turn," says King Adrian, whom Ariabella has grown even more fond of over the last three years.

The king embraces Ariabella, his deep-bellied chuckles are joyful.

"I truly thought I might die before I ever had grandchildren," he says, patting her back. "I am an old man now."

"You are still young in your heart," she replies. "You're not going anywhere yet."

He chuckles again before taking his leave. Ariabella sighs as Clara announces she is taking Koran for his nap. Elias, who has been hiding in a corner, takes Ariabella's hand, leading her out of the room.

"What's the matter?" she asks, holding to his arm.

"Can a man enjoy his wife's company, alone, when he wishes it?" he counters with a smirk."Yes, but you seem to have other things on your mind. Care to share?"

Elias' smirk softens into a smile."Not really, but I will likely bring it up later. Thank you for your concern."

"It is my duty to be concerned for your well-being, Elias."

"As it is mine, my darling."He gathers Ariabella in his arms, holding her close as he feels around the wall. The panel opens and Elias pulls her into the darkness.

"Let's go to our courtyard," he says, whisking her away. 

The darkness in the corridor breaks as Elias opens the doorway at the back of the courtyard. The mid-afternoon sunlight is warm and welcoming. The bright orange ariabella flowers, planted at the request of Elias, dance in the gentle breeze as the pair take shade beneath the great tree at the center of the yard. It is the one place they can truly be alone.

The announcement of the royal baby is sent across the land

The announcement of the royal baby is sent across the land. People from all over the kingdom send gifts and good wishes. And several months later, Ariabella gives Elias two sons. They are given the names Aldrich and Adrian.

Peace and good fortune rest over the kingdom of Evæqesta. King Adrian steps down, placing the responsibility of the king on Elias' shoulders. He rules the kingdom as his father did, with mercy and wise judgment. Ariabella's faithfulness to her husband becomes an example to all the women of the land, and she is admired by everyone. Together, they rule over Evæqesta for many years and their reign continues the peace and good fortune left behind by King Adrian. The people of the kingdom are never left to hunger or want. The word of Elias and Ariabella's wisdom and mercy spreads across the land. And treaties of peace and allyship are built with all the neighboring kingdoms.

[words:865]