Chapter Three

Mother has put me to work, removing the husks of newly harvested corn

Mother has put me to work, removing the husks of newly harvested corn. She sits beside me, shucking peas from their pods. The late afternoon sun spreads golden, orange light across the plains. A gentle breeze blows through the grass, distracting me from my task. 

"Did you enjoy your time with Clara?" Mother asks as she reaches for a new bunch of green pods.

"Yes," I reply, grunting as I yank a cob from the husk. "I see why Erik is in love with her."Clara's advice enters my mind.

"The Lark didn't come," I say, dropping the clean corn into the basket between us and reaching for another. "And the day before, I did not show you it, but he brought me another pearl... I chose not to show you because I thought you might ask me if I was lying again."

"I see."

"And it just seems silly you would ever think I was because I am your own daughter."Tears are forming in my eyes now. I clench my hands around the ear of corn.

"Tis only a bird, but that bird is my friend..."I drop the corn into the pile of husks, unable to continue. Something touches my shoulders and I turn to my mother's gaze.

"I question you because I know the difficulties of revealing your heart to your mother," she whispers, wrapping her arms around my shoulders and embracing me close to her breast. "I thought you might have been secretly meeting a boy... that you would be afraid to share such news and would cover it up with a story."I pull away and look into her eyes.

"I share everything with you," I whisper back, shaking my head. "Apart from your questioning, I never thought I needed to hide anything from you... I thought you trusted me."

Mother frowns, "Ariabella, I do trust you. Perhaps I should have trusted you more. I'm sorry I made you believe otherwise. I love and care for you dearly. You must know."

"I do know."I hug her again. Her comforting warmth surrounds me. And for the moment, I am content with the silence. When a thought hits me.

"Do you think Clara would like a set of pearl earrings?" I ask, wiping my cheeks as I pull away. "I think I might have a matching pair and they would make a lovely wedding present. What Erik finally announces, of course."

Mother smiles, "I think that a wonderful idea. I will ask your father to take us into town and we can meet with the jeweler."

"Would the jeweler accept pearls for payment?"

"I do not see why they wouldn't..."

She sighs, pinching her lips closed.

"They were a gift from someone special," I say as if my spontaneous statement has been prior rehearsed. "I wish to have a pair of earrings made. I will give a payment of an additional pearl for the work. The greatest of value in my possession."Mother's expression is thoughtful. Tilting her head to one side.