Chapter Fifteen

Today begins the Spring Equinox

Today begins the Spring Equinox. The wedding is just weeks away. Planning the event is hard. I want everything to be perfect. I want to include everything Mother and Clara suggest. The palace is already the most extravagant location for a royal wedding. All of Evæqesta is to attend, adding to the pressure of becoming the wife of a prince.

Elias has many duties and in the months I've lived at the palace, I am lucky if I see him at mealtimes. He does make an effort to sneak into my room at night and stays until the morning. I have also begun attending the royal court, making special appearances to adjust to my new role.

"Lady Ariabella, the afternoon meal is about to be served," says one of the many maids assigned to my care. "And his royal highness said he will be joining you."

I smile, "Thank you."

The maid curtsies and hurries out of the room. I exhale, flattening the front of my teal gown before following in the same direction. I am met by Elias, who is wearing a wide smile.

"Hello," he says, bowing his head in greeting.

"Hello, yourself," I reply, mirroring his actions. "I was not expecting you to escort me to the dining hall."

"Makes the surprise worth it."

Elias takes my hand, wrapping it in his elbow.

"How is the planning going?" he asks, lowering his voice as we enter the hallway. "Anything I should contribute?"

"Not unless you want something specific at the ceremony."

"What about the color of my uniform?"

"Emerald green. I have spoken to the tailor and the seamstress. I have also asked them to include a satin sash for each of us."

"Perfect... What else is on your mind?"

I bite my lip. Should I say anything?

"Ariabella, what is it?" Elias asks, lowering his voice as he pulls me near the wall.

His tone of concern is the reason I concede.

"It is a lot of pressure on my shoulders," I explain with a heavy sigh. "The entire kingdom is watching me, a commoner, take the role of a lady and a princess. Everyone is watching my every step to see if I will crumble."

"Okay, first of all. The entire kingdom cannot see beyond the palace walls, not unless they have special vision spectacles."

I narrow my gaze, but it is hard for me to not laugh at the silly grin on his face.

"Secondly," he goes on, bringing my hands to his chest. "I am not going to let you crumble. I chose you because I know we are going to be an amazing team. And because I thought you were the most beautiful creature I'd ever seen."

Warmth fills my cheeks. Elias is a charmer and always will be.

"I was hoping to keep this a surprise until after we finished our meal," he says, "but I suppose now is as good of a time as any to tell you the king has granted me a leave of absence to spend helping you with the wedding."

"Really?"

"You don't believe me? Ask my father."

"I believe you, it doesn't mean I am not surprised."

Elias chuckles, "What if I request our meal be set up in the garden?"

"Tempting, but my parents and your father will be joining us."

"Oh, they dine with us every evening. We can-"

I press a finger to his lips, giggling at Elias' wide expression.

"We dine with our parents every night, yes," I say, nodding. "Think of it as a new tradition. Elias, dining with them is not a chore. If it is the one time of day we can all get together and talk, making the effort is painless."

He smiles, but with my fingers pressed to his lips, he looks ridiculous. I move my hand away, allowing him to speak.

"Fine," he says, gathering me to his chest. "But there will be times when I will steal you away. I'm allowed to do that."

"Never said you weren't," I reply, exhaling softly. "Let's hurry, then you can tell me how you feel about ariabellas as the centerpiece at our wedding."

"I could not think of a more perfect flower."

Our meal with our parents is splendid

Our meal with our parents is splendid. The king leaves to his study. My mother and father excuse themselves to spend time with Erik and Clara. Elias and I decide to spend the final hours of daylight in our courtyard. Our favorite place is beneath the tallest tree in the entire garden. It sits at the center and is surrounded by flowers of all colors and shapes.

"Elias," I say, "you never told me what your transformation was like. Just that it was unexpected."

He sighs, eyes closed in the sunlight.

"It's not a pretty story," he says.

"I would still like to know. It is the reason behind meeting me."

He opens his eyes, meeting my waiting gaze. He raises a hand, touching my cheek.

"You needn't tell me every detail, if you don't want to, but-"

"The first time it happened," he cuts me off, "every bone in my body shattered. It was painful and constant. The physics of the change is beyond me... My father summoned the doctor and while he was tending to me, he brought up some family history. My mother's family had magic in their blood. We will never know if she went through the transformation, but it was passed to me. My father and I did extensive research, hoping we could find a cause. But it still remains somewhat of a mystery."

"Is there anyone from your mother's family you could have spoken to?" I ask, entwining our fingers together.

"No one," Elias replies, shaking his head as he brings my hand to his lips. "She was alone when she met my father. Fascinating thought, he married into royalty, not the other way around."

"You jest."

"No, it is written in the kingdom's history. I will show it to you, one day."

"Hopefully, sooner than later."

"Sooner than later, you have my word, my darling."

[words:1010]