Prologue

Ariabella's smile brightens the room

Ariabella's smile brightens the room. Her parents and her brother, Erik, sing as they bring a small cake to the table. Ariabella stares at the single candle as it flickers.

"Make a wish, sweet darling," Mother says, kissing the side of her head.

"I do not know what to wish for," Ariabella whispers, shaking her head.

"Wish for your innermost desire."

The girl closes her eyes, thinking about all the things she desires. None stand out. But then she remembers a dream she had the night before.

I wish for the truest of true love.

Ariabella blows out the flame and her family cheers. Mother produces a knife and begins slicing the cake into portions. Father kisses Ariabella's forehead.

"Feels like only yesterday, you were begging me to carry you on my shoulders," he chuckles fondly. "Now, you are nearly all grown up."

"Not too grown up, yet," Ariabella replies with a smile. "I am still, and will always be your daughter...but I do hope I can soon see the sights of the city. Am I not old enough to go?"

Her parents look at each other, then at Erik

"You did say you would allow her to go when she was eighteen," he says, shrugging as he bites into his portion of cake. "Father will go to trade the meats. Why not make it a family ordeal?"

"We will discuss it," Mother replies, patting Ariabella on the shoulder.

Later, brother and sister are seated on the front porch, watching the  clouds go by

Later, brother and sister are seated on the front porch, watching the clouds go by.

"Why do our parents always celebrate our birth at sunrise?" Ariabella asks, adjusting her skirt as she tucks her legs beneath her.

"Because all new things become new at first light," Erik replies as he knots two strands of long, deep-green grass together. "Celebrating our birth in the early hours gives us more time to become our new selves, a year older."

"Truly?"

"I do not know."

The siblings meet gazes and erupt in a fit of giggles.