Vol. 1 Chapter 13: Rear Echelon

Start from the beginning

"Because you are new here, I gonna speak about the relationship between mercenaries and adventurers." (Marie)

Their relationship? It sounds trouble.

"Do you know the general impression of mercenaries are profit leechers, dogs of nobility and merchants, brutes of the society and some more rough impressions on us." (Marie)

"More or less, yeah." (Liam)

Well, even in the old world, mercenaries are typically private soldiers of higher class, they fought for money, and even some of the mercenary groups on earth are made of war criminals. So I could understand what she meant.

"On the contrary, adventurers are regarded as saviors of villagers, commoners, and much of general population due to their sacrifices and contribution in protecting the frontiers from monsters, that's why there's some kind of rivalry between two organization due to the misconception of one is made out of heroes and martyrs while the other one is made out of scums." (Marie)

Is that so? It's not that I care about their feud.

"Hmm. I'll take that in mind." (Liam)

"It seems this is our farewell huh. may goddess of luck be on your side." (Marie)

"Thanks." (Liam)

I get out of the guild and head towards the inn to get my stuff and also give my farewell to the villagers.

Burduex Main Highway

Outside the city, over a hundred people are could be seen working and laying things on the ground. Many of which is wearing some protection mostly leather or chain armor.

I gone towards the post of this caravan and ask the person in charge.

"Umm is this the caravan towards olandia?." (Liam)

It so awkward to ask a group of people whom I didn't know at all.

"Yeah, your paper please?." ( Person in charge)

The wording is nice but the tone is not. It's like I got my first hater in another world.

"Well... Here." (Liam)

He read my preliminary information and returned it back immediately.

"A mercenary huh. You head on the rear, and support the people there." (Person in charge)

A rear echelon work? It's not bad I guess? I moved towards the out most rear of the ground and what I saw it's quite astonishing one.

"You!." (?)

An old woman call me out.

"You're assigned here?." (?)

"More or less, Yeah?." (Liam)

"Then get on the work! Get those crates on the carriages!." (Old woman)

"Umm? What kind of crates to put...." (Liam)

There's too many of them, I can't decide nor identify. It's a mountain of them.

"Are you deaf?! All of them!." (Old woman)

"Uh... Okay." (Liam)

"Move your ass quick! What's the purpose of your huge body if you can't do a swift job!." (Old woman)

Swift job my ass! It's too many of them! The people who are working in the rear echelon laughed in bitterness, probably they've been subjected on such harsh tone too.

"What's the insides here?." (Liam)

I ask the people here, I might accidentally broke some expensive wine bottles if I messed up.