III

Aris Matthews
Charlotte, NC
May 2019

Me and Nautica finally made it back to my house and got out the car.

I saw everybody's cars in the driveway so I knew they were inside already. I walked in the house and went upstairs to change into something comfortable while Nautica went to my girl cave where everybody else was.

When I built my house, I made sure I built the basement up as just a relaxation space for myself. I had marble floors and a kitchen/bar in the back corner. I had a conversation pit in the middle of the floor with a 70in TV up against the wall. I also had a pole on the right side of the room.

I came back down the stairs and went to the kitchen to grab me some water and my wine bottle I left in the refrigerator last night and went down to my girl cave

"Damn, about time! We been waiting on you so we can play the game" Jacobe said

"um what game and who said I was playing?" I said going to the bar to get me a wine glass

"Girl, come sit your ass down and bring me one too" Renni said scrolling through her phone.

I got both the wine glasses and went to sit down. Everybody else already had their bottles and glasses out.

I swear they got it out for me because the only other seat was by Nautica. Kerian and Renni were stretched out taking up most of the space.

I sat down next to Nautica and scooted over closer to Renni trying to put some space between us. I was about to start drinking and I didn't want to be too close getting all hot and bothered.

"Okay, so we're playing truth or dare. If you chicken out of answering the question or doing the dare, you have to take two shots." Kerian said

"Oh lord" i mumbled under my breath.

"Me first, okay so truth or dare Asayah" Jacobe asked

She looked at him like she was stuck for a minute before answering.

"Uh.. truth?"

"Okay, is it true that you cheated on me?" he said sipping his drink staring at her intently.

My mouth slightly opened in shock. I looked around the room and everybody else was looking at her waiting for the answer, but me and Renni already knew so we were just shocked at him asking.

Asayah and Jacobe have been dating for about 3 years and about 5 months ago, they hit a rough patch. Jacobe was working on getting more into his music and it was stressing him out pretty bad so he'd be gone a lot more than usual. Asayah tried to support him, but he'd start snapping off on her for no reason, getting in her face and disrespecting her. For awhile, Asayah just took it because she didn't want to add to his stress but after I told her that stress didn't mean he could treat her bad, she put her foot down.