Chapter 044: Of Rats and Men- part 2

The young barkeep placed a tankard down on the table in front of Cicero and nodded. Its contents splashed over the side releasing the strong stench of alcohol.

     "What is it?" Cicero asked in a nasally tone as he curled his lip.

     "Vekel here makes it 'imself," another man with a thick accent said as he took a seat across from him, "He also cleans wiff it. But It'll always cure what ails yeh,"

     Cicero cautiously peered inside the cup. The liquid was as clear as water. He hesitated for a long moment before holding his breath and lifting it to take a sip. The strange drink burned his tongue something awful, but he quickly swallowed it anyway.

     "Nope," Cicero choked and dry heaved, pushing the beverage away, "I'll pass."

     "Good for me," the man smiled and grabbed the drink for himself. Cicero watched as he chugged it with curious ease. He was a middle-aged Breton; bald and rather stocky. Something about him seemed vaguely familiar.

     "Have you ever paid for your own drink?" a petite blonde Imperial sighed as she strolled past and took a seat at a nearby table.

     "Oi," the Breton called over his shoulder, slamming the tankard down, "Mind yer own wax. A good thief pays fer nothin'." He extended his hand across the table toward Cicero, "Name's Delvin. Don't mind the peach with the sharp tongue. Vex is a sour one, that."

     "Cicero," he replied and casually shook Delvin's hand

     "Wos that the boss come waltzin' through 'ere just now?"

     "Boss? Jade- Yes, Miss Jade," Cicero mumbled, still trying to place where he knew this guy from.

     "Didn't think we'd see that fine ass around 'ere again."

     "Excuse me?"

     "She'd moved on to darker things, if yeh know what I mean..." he nodded to Cicero's armor.

     "Darker..." Cicero squinted one eye as the taste of the rancid alcohol continued to tingle in the back of his throat.

     "She took over from Astrid in the Brotherhood," Delvin leaned his elbow on the table and glanced back toward the entrance where Jade had left through a few minutes earlier. Cicero remained silent.

     "I miss that piece o' work. Good woman, she was. Rest in peace."

     "Wait, you miss Astrid?"

     "Yeah. What a mess that wos. I hope the same fate don't befall that saucy Dragonborn, eh? Not a lot o' sexy feminine Nords out there, in my opinion. Rather not lose another."

     "Astrid was a fraud and a traitor," Cicero couldn't hold back. He hadn't spoken of her in several months and would rather forget the whole thing, but to hear someone speak so highly of that betrayer made him furious.