Chapter 12

(Jayden)

The rest of the weekend was pretty chill, Markus apparently had to stay the night and he left Saturday morning before I woke up.

I felt pretty bad for making him stay past curfew and I decided I wanted to give him something to apologize with, so me and Skyler made cookies for him.

When I walked in for class I saw Markus already there, early as usual. "Hey Markus!" I said happily watching him perk up immediately.

"H-Hey Jayden." Markus said with a smile. I still wasn't used to seeing a smile like that from him, I like it.

"So, i wanted to apologize" I said as i sat down next to him and unzipped my bag pulling out a plastic baggy with the sugar cookies inside. "These are an apology for making you miss curfew." I explained to him.

"Oh, t-thanks, but you don't have to apologize, it was more my fault than anything, I forgot there was a curfew." Markus replied. "I don't go out often enough to be worried about a curfew, so it's on me." He said and I sighed.

"I'm still sorry, plus we never even got around to watching a movie before I passed out, so I felt bad." I explained.

"At least you got a good sleep, right?" Markus asked with a slight laugh.

"Yeah." I said softly. "You seem to be in a great mood today, what changed?" I asked sweetly.

Markus turned his head to the front of the class and unopened the plastic baggy pulled out a cookie. "You gave me a gift." He answered with a smile before taking a bite out of the cookie.

I wasn't sure why a gift would make him so happy, but I loved seeing him like this. It gives me just a warm fuzzy feeling inside. I'm happy I could make him happy like this, I love making him happy like this.

________________________________

(Markus)

Class was fast today and all I could think about is how peaceful Jayden looked the other day. All I could really think about was him.

"Alright, class, be sure you get those assignments done before next week." The teacher stated as I started packing my things.

I ate almost all the cookies he gave me, I'm not sure why but I did.

"So, do you want me to drive you to lunch again?" I asked as Jayden and I walked out of class.

"Is this going to end up being a regular thing?" He asked, looking up at me.

"I wouldn't mind it to be." I said quietly looking down.

"Alright." Jayden chuckled. "Then I better tell Skyler that." He said with a smile as we walked out of the building.

I looked up seeing Skyler parked out front. Jayden quickly headed over and started talking to her. I watched as he smiled and nodded happily. I sighed heading down the steps as Jayden walked back over.

"Are you sure you're okay with it being a regular thing, that you take me to lunch after class?" Jayden asked.

"Yeah, unless my sister needs a ride, I don't mind." I answered smiling softly as we walked to my truck. I opened the door for him and then headed to the driver's side.

I got in and buckled before starting up the car. I looked over as I watched him buckle up and lean back. He looked up and our eyes met, and after a moment he smiled brightly. I felt heat rise in my cheeks as I looked away at the road and started driving.

"I haven't seen you smile this much before." Jayden commented. "You could definitely catch someone's eye with that smile." He complimented, causing more heat to rise in my cheek.

"I don't think I would." I mumbled my smile slowly slipping down.

"Sorry if I made you uncomfortable by saying that." Jayden apologized quickly.

"N-No, you're fine Jayden, it was just a little unexpected is all." I explained. "I just had an old friend that said something similar once, but they weren't a good friend, so hearing something like that bothers me slightly. That's not your fault." I explained.

"Why did I tell him that!?" I said to myself as I sighed.

"Oh, I see." Jayden said quietly.

"Shit!" I swore in my head as we got to the cafeteria.

________________________________

(Jayden)

I got out of the truck with Markus. As we walked into the cafeteria I felt the it was a little tense as we got our food and sat down. He wasn't smiling anymore.

"Did you eat all the cookies I made?" I asked as I took a bite of my salad.

"Y-Yeah, they were really good, thank you again." He said kindly but his smile was still gone.

I felt like I did something wrong with how quiet it got. This wasn't the same silence as the other day, it wasn't slightly awkward.

"I'm sorry, about earlier." I said quickly, seeing him shake his head.

"You're fine Jayden, you didn't do anything wrong." He assured me. It was strange hearing him say my name.

"Hey guys!" Skyler yelled as she walked over happily.

"Hey Sky." I said back.

"Hi." Markus said quietly.

"So, what did you think of the cookies? I'm assuming Jayden already gave them to you." Sky asked.

"They were good." Markus said quietly.

"That's great! So, now I have an important conversation." She stated while she took a bite of her fries. "So, I have a movie I want to see, and you're coming with me." Skyler stated making me sigh.

"You can't just make plans for people, we've talked about this." I said annoyed.

"But I don't want to go alone! Plus it's not like you have any plans Jayden." Sky complained.

"What day?" Markus asked.

"Uh I believe Friday." Sky answered.

"What kind of movie?" He asked

"Well it's an action movie." She explained.

Markus nodded. "Do you have any plans for Friday?" He asked me and I sighed.

"No, I don't." I answered.

"I'm good with going with you." Markus stated.

"Wait, really!?" Sky asked excitedly.

"Yeah I don't see a reason not to, is your and still no?" Markus asked me

"Yeah, it's a no, I don't like big movie theaters, I'd prefer to wait until it comes out on Netflix or something." I explained.

"Okay, would you mind if I brought my sister then?" Markus asked

"Oh most definitely! I am perfectly fine with that!" Sky smiled brightly.

"If you want I can always pa-"

"No! I'm paying. It was my idea, so I should be the one to pay." She explained and I sighed.

"I hope you're ready to watch a movie with the loudest person alive." I said teasingly.

"Hey! I am quiet during movies!" She defended.

"Not when we're watching them." I explained.

"That's because we only ever watch movies together at home, I'm quiet in theaters!" Skyler said, crossing her arms.

I heard a slight chuckle from Markus. "You guys act like siblings." He said smiling. I was happy to see that smile again.

"Oh, I don't want to give you mixed signals, you know this isn't like a date or anything?" She asked.

Markus nodded. "I assumed it wasn't."

"Alright, good!" Sky said excitedly.