Chapter 52 - hired?

Start from the beginning

"That's okay, I didn't want to talk about it anyway" Scoffs Sokka as he lies down.

❀❀❀

"Look at those clear skies buddy!" Exclaims Aang while petting Appa's head. Katara looks down into a bag before holding it upside down, sprinkling the ground with crumbs.

"We better find ourselves a market cause we're out of food" States Mizuki.

"Guys, wait. This was in my dream. We shouldn't go to the market" Warns Sokka in a serious tone.

"What happened in your dream?" Asks Katara curiously.

"Food eats people!" Says Sokka while making gestures with his hands. Katara sighs and continues packing her sleeping bag while Aang goes back to adjusting Appa's reins.

"Also, Momo could talk" Points out Sokka as he turns around to face Momo.

"You said some very unkind things" Sokka glares at Momo who blinks at him confused.

"Oh really? What kind of unkind things did Momo say?" Chuckles Mizuki amused.

"Well he said- actually, I'm not telling you" Replies Sokka.

"What! Why not?" Complains Mizuki while Sokka turns around and continues to pack his stuff.

"You're mean! Katara your brother is bullying me again" Whines Mizuki.

"Sokka shut up" Says Katara without even looking at him.

"What?! I didn't even do anything-" Sokka gets cut off by Katara.

"Stop it" Sokka sighs annoyed while Mizuki grins.

❀❀❀

Zuko's looking through a spyglass on the deck.

"There is a storm coming. A big one" Says Iroh, who had just arrived on the deck.

"You're out of your mind uncle. The weather's perfect. There's not a cloud in sight" Replies Zuko.

"A storm is approaching from the north. I suggest we alter our course and head southwest" Informs Iroh as he turns around to face Zuko.

"We know the Avatar is traveling northward, so we will do the same" Says Zuko determined. He did not want to lose track of the Avatar or Mizuki.

"Prince Zuko, consider the safety of the crew" Iroh's voice changes into a stern one.

"The safety of the crew doesn't matter!" Shouts Zuko angrily. Behind them, Lieutenant Jee walks onto deck, inadvertently overhearing the conversation. As soon as Zuko realizes Jee is behind him and turns around to face him, his expression briefly loses its raging intensity. The Lieutenant raises an eyebrow, what kind of prince treats their crew like this?

"Finding the Avatar and dualbender is far more important than any individual's safety" Finishes Zuko before walking away. Jee glares at Zuko angrily.

"He doesn't mean that. He's just all worked up" Reassures Iroh.

❀❀❀

Katara's standing in front of a small merchant's stand, suspiciously eying a watermelon.

"Ah, it's good. It's perfect, I'm telling you!" Scowls the merchant woman.

"I don't know if I like the sound of that swishing" Says Katara while shaking the watermelon softly.

"Swishing means it's ripe! It's the ripe juices swishing around!" Complains the woman. Aang and Mizuki approach Katara.

"I think it's true Katara. Swishing means it's ripe" Mentions Aang.

"It actually is. This watermelon looks pretty ripe" States Mizuki.

"I just realized we're out of money anyway" Sighs Katara before leaving the merchants' stand. The woman angrily grabs the watermelon and puts it back in its original place.

"Awww!" Complains Sokka. As soon as he walks past the merchant, she indignantly kicks him in the rear. Sokka lets out a cry of pain.

"Out of food and out of money. Now what are we supposed to do?" Sighs Sokka.

"You could get a job, smart guy" Retorts Katara.

"You could do chores for people or entertain them, those are the easiest ways to earn money. I suggest you-" Mizuki stops talking the moment she hears a couple argue loudly. Katara raises an eyebrow confused, why does Mizuki have so much random knowledge?

"We shouldn't go out there! Please, the fish can wait. There's going to be a terrible storm" Pleads a woman.

"You're crazy. It's a nice day. No clouds, no winds, no nothing" Responds a fisherman while pointing at the clear sky.

"So quit your nagging woman" Snaps the man. Aang's eyes widen in shock, a storm? Simply the word 'storm' reminded him of the day he left the airbenders. Suddenly, an immense amount of guilt overwhelms him.

"Maybe we should find some shelter?" Suggests Aang nervously. Mizuki notices Aang's voice crack and the worried expression written over his face. Is Aang scared of storms? Or thunder?

"Are you kidding? Shelter from what?" Replies Sokka as he looks at the clear sky.

"My joints say there's going to be a storm! A bad one!" Exclaims the woman.

"Well, it's your joints against my brain" Scoffs the fisherman.

"Then I hope your brain can find someone else to haul that fish, cause I ain't comin" Retorts the woman.

"Then I'll find a new fish hauler and pay him double what you get!" As soon as Sokka hears this, he runs towards the elderly couple.

"I'll go!" Beams Sokka while raising his hand.

"You're hired!" Exclaims the man as he shoots a triumphant look at his wife, who scowls back. Mizuki, Aang and Katara look at Sokka and sweatdrop.

"What? You said get a job, and he's paying double" Shrugs Sokka.

"Double? Who told you that nonsense" Scoffs the man.

To be continued

Word count: 1.514