Chapter 34 - The One Where Mihir & Mihika Fight

Sarojini Saree/Suit Center - two weeks later, Saturday, November 30th, 11 am

"Yeh dekhiye madam, yeh color aap pe bahot jachega. Aap ke mangetar aapko dekhte reh jaayenge." The salesman spread a hot pink saree in front of Mihika trying to add to the pile of clothes they'd already kept aside for her engagement.

[Look at this ma'am. This color will look very pretty on you. Your fiancé won't be able to tear his eyes off you.]

It took a massive logistical effort, but after many schedule conflicts and canceled plans, all the Bhalla and Iyer women had finally managed to go shopping together for Mihir and Mihika's engagement. After much deliberation, it was decided that they would get engaged in a Punjabi fashion (with a roka and ring ceremony happening together), seeing that the groom had agreed to a Tamilian wedding already.

"Nahin nahin." Toshi pushed aside the pink saree laid out by the salesman. "Yeh bahot halki hain. Meri hone wali bahu ke liye ekdum bhari saree chahiye."

[No no. This is too simple. My daughter-in-law should get a fancier saree.]

Ishita caught a glimpse of Mihika's moist-eyed look. They always knew that Mihir was just as much a part of the Bhalla family as Raman or Romi. But the way Toshi had accepted Mihika as another daughter-in-law seemed truly marvelous to them. It proved that the Bhallas' affection wasn't just empty words; it was real.

"Lekin bhari bhari saree pehnne se to accha ki tum ek accha sa lehenga hi leh lo, na Mihika?" Simi suggested. Like Vandu and Ishita, she had put her husband on child-duty for the rest of the day. Might as well have a girls-day out while they're at it.

[Why don't you get a nice lehenga instead of such heavy sarees, Mihika?]

One after another, they chose different outfits for the bride and for themselves. After a two-hour long trial session, they left the store with their pockets lighter and shopping bags heavier. Way heavier. Rinki, Simi, and Toshi chose new salwar suits; Vandu and Madhu picked out sarees with heavy borders; and the bride chose a heavy, gold and magenta lehenga. Ishita -- confused between a saree and suit -- decided to treat herself and buy both. Worst case scenario, Ravan kumar would tease her a bit on her fashion choices. Was it weird that she'd started loving this push-and-pull she had going with him?

"Ek baj gaye, Simi di. Bahot bhookh lagi hain," Rinki complained as they loaded their cars with their shopping bags. [It's one o'clock, Simi di. I'm so hungry.]

"Ek kaam karte hain," Simi addressed the group. "Yahan se paanch minute dur ek chaat corner hai. Wahin pe lunch kare?" [Let's do one thing. About five minutes away from here, there's a chaat center. How about lunch there?]

"OMG YES!" Mihika exclaimed. "I haven't had pani puri in sooo long!"

"Gol gappe," Rinki corrected her with a tap on her shoulder.

"What?"

"We Delhiites call them gol gappe."

"And we Tamilians call them pani puri." Mihika narrowed her eyes.

"You've been in Delhi for almost a year now. You're a Delhiite. Besides, you're marrying a Delhiite," Rinki countered.

"Simi, mujhe us chaat corner ka address message karo na. Sab log wahin pe milte hain," Ishita intervened before the Tamilian vs Delhiite feud erupted again. "Chalo sab, apni apni gaadi mein baith jao. Phir khaana kha kar ghar pahochte hain."

[Simi, message me the address of that chaat corner. We'll all meet up there. Come on everyone, get in your cars. Then after lunch we need to head home.]