How To Doctor 101

Start from the beginning

"Don't you know that a doctor's gotta check on the patient before prescribing medicine?" Gold rolled his eyes, tapping his foot impatiently.

However, before Xiao could say anything, a door at the back of the lab burst open. A lady covered head to toe in scorches came running out of the door coughing madly.

"Rhinedottir!" Gold said giddily. "We have guests!"

But Gold was totally ignored. The lady jumped head first into the lake, disappearing in a stream of bubbles.

"Sorry, please ignore my assistant," Gold sighed. "So, I'm asking you again whether you would like for me to take a look at your...boyfriend there."

"How can I trust you won't harm him instead?" Xiao said.

Humming, Gold smiled. "Well, for one, the King and Queen will probably fire me. Which I absolutely don't want to happen! Think about all the resources and facilities I will lose. In addition, my head would be detached from my body permanently by none other than you. Hm. That would be rather interesting, though."

Xiao twitched. This guy was officially off his rockers. The one thing he could gather from his odd reasoning was that he wouldn't harm Aether only because he cared about his position as royal alchemist.

Grudgingly, Xiao grumbled, "Fine. But don't think of doing anything funny."

For real, Xiao wouldn't have let anyone inspect Aether so closely. He had only made an exception for Gold mainly due to the current dire situation. Furthermore, Gold had noticed that Aether was...'dying'. Perhaps, as the royal alchemist of Khaenri'ah and with their first-rate technology, Aether had a chance to be saved.

Per Gold's instructions, Xiao carefully laid Aether down on one of the emptier desks. Throughout the entire screening, Xiao unblinkingly watched Gold work. Lumine herself was idly wandering about, observing the environment and objects.

A few minutes later, Gold put down his stethoscope, his brows furrowed.

"Well?" Xiao pressed.

"Hm...your, uhm, boyfriend..." Gold said slowly, as if trying to comprehend an extremely complex formula. "Is it possible that he-"

As usual, the timing for matters just couldn't be worse.

Gold and Xiao turned to the back door where a very obvious creaking sound was coming from. Upon scrutinizing closer, the both of them realised that the creaking sound was due to the door gradually opening.

They had barely a moment to register it when a storm of darkness rushed past them like a swarm of bees. Xiao spluttered, trying not to get swept off feet by the current of chattering black. However, just as quickly as they came, they vanished.

Xiao blinked. Everything was the same as before. Gold was still standing opposite the table Aether was lying down on, Lumine visibly shaking in fear near the entrance.

Xiao quickly glanced at the back door. The door was widely opened, creaking on its hinges.

"You might want to chase after those," Gold commented calmly.

"What was that?" Xiao yelled.

"Shadow warriors!" Gold said happily. "They're one of my finest masterpieces! - they'll mindlessly wreck havoc wherever they go."

"You should take responsibility for this!"

"I'm just a weak alchemist," Gold tutted. "On the other hand, you are a powerful Yaksha."

Xiao clicked his tongue. "If I see even a strand of Aether's hair harmed- you better watch out."

With a flash of Anemo energy, Xiao disappeared. Lumine, finally regaining her wits, hurried after Xiao, screaming, "Wait for me!"

Those clueless people...

They really just left Gold with Aether alone, huh?

"Good work, Rhinedottir," Gold praised.

Rhinedottir, the lady from before, came out once again from the back door. Her flaming red hair was tied in a short ponytail with a studded hairband that glittered like diamonds. In a slightly burnt white lab coat, she approached Gold, hands in her pockets.

"You owe me a hundred resin," she deadpanned.

"Yes, yes, I'll pay you later. Let's get to the real examination, shall we?" Gold smirked.

Rhinedottir offered Gold a pair of surgical gloves. Putting them on with a stretch, Gold leaned down, chanting lowly an incomprehensible song under his breath.

With a golden glowing hand, he plunged his hand down deep into Aether's chest.

A/N:
Xiao: Don't touch even a strand of his hair
Gold: Lmao k
Gold: *karate chops Aether*