It's The Final Countdown

With the death of so many adepti, the Guili Assembly had been cut down to nearly half its ranks and were at their weakest.

The monsters, however, were brimming as ever.

In this current dire state, even some of Rex Lapis' allies renounced their alliance. Namely, a few examples were Osial and Chi. Apparently, they had only followed Rex Lapis out of fear of destruction, wanting to be on the winning side of the Archon War. Although, in the current situation, their confidence towards Rex Lapis' power crashed and they went their own ways.

Aether secretly feared that more gods would abandon them. Osial and Chi he knew would be successfully subdued by Rex Lapis in the future, but he was afraid that more gods - those that weren't supposed to - would follow suit.

With how increasingly short-handed they had become, Rex Lapis had one day called for the five to-be Yakshas - Xiao, Indarias, Menogias, Bosacius and Bonanus - to sign a contract.

Even though it marked how critical their situation was, Aether still felt a bit relieved that they were still on the right track of history. Yet even that relief was short-lived.

Once the contract was signed and done, Xiao had called for Aether to meet back at their room. Obviously, Aether had seen this coming. So manning up, Aether followed Xiao back to their room, ready for the worst.

When the door was closed, Xiao fidgeted uneasily on the spot. "I think you might have been expecting this, Aether, but...with the new task Rex Lapis has given me, I won't be able to return to the abode as often. And..."

"We won't be able to hang out anymore?" Aether asked with a sad smile.

Xiao's head shot up, amber eyes burning into Aether's soul so harsh that Aether faltered, speechless.

But just as quickly, the ferocity in Xiao's eyes dampened like water splashed on a roaring fire. Grudgingly, he said, "We probably won't be able to fight together any longer. With me as part of the Yakshas, the enemies I'm about to fight will be way stronger. The karmic debt they'll leave behind will...be very difficult to handle. I don't doubt your skills. It's just...I don't want you to be affected by any karmic energy either."

"And let you shoulder all the burden again?" Aether asked quietly.

"It's better this way."

"I made a promise, Xiao," Aether argued. "To save my you and my sister-"

"To save us. Making my life better doesn't need to be considered," Xiao retorted.

Aether bit his lips. Xiao had probably thought this over many times; he won't give up his stand any time soon.

Aether was greedy. He knew that. To attempt to make Xiao's life better, to want to share his burden, to desire to be at his side and fight alongside him - Xiao did not ask for any of that. All of it was just for his own selfish wishes.

Maybe Xiao had finally been fed up with playing with his shenanigans.

Flatly, Aether said, "Fine."

He thought Xiao might have been happy to hear that he was relenting, but instead, he seemed more depressed. Really, what does he want?

Sighing, Aether forcibly made Xiao sit down on the bed. Towering over Aether, with his hands on his hips, Aether glared down at the confused Yaksha like an angry mother.

"You better take good care of yourself," Aether ordered strictly. "Promise me that you'll remember to eat and rest well."

"Aether," Xiao said exasperatedly. "You do know that adepti don't need to-"