𝟎𝟒, 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐇

HE WALKED through the rundown house, the floorboards creaking with every step. Faint squeaks from tiny critters and soft clicks from aluminum cans echoed throughout the room.

Meanwhile, she waited patiently in the study room, sitting with her legs crossed. Her eyes followed the tangled wires running from the computers into electrical cubes, and she resisted the urge to snarl; everything seemed to be a reminder of her pain. Yet she traced the machinery with a gentle finger, letting a wave of nostalgia overcome her anger.

The door opened, and the man stepped inside. "I wish you would've chosen a less . . . dilapidated environment to discuss the plan."

"Mm, did you?" she asked, lifting her green eyes to his blue ones. She picked up a bottle of wine, twirling it between her fingers. "A drink?"

He wrinkled his nose at the foamy, brown liquid. "No, thank you."

She chuckled, a soft, melodic chuckle that sounded foreign to her. How long had it been since she last laughed? Too long, came the answer. But she sniffed the wine delicately and made a face. "Good choice," she said.

The man leaned against the wall, ignoring the rough, splintered surface. "You called me to discuss the next step in the plan."

She leaned forward, uncrossing her legs. "Right. The plan to banish your friend."

✧・☆: *✧・☆:*✧・☆: *✧・☆:*✧・☆: *✧・☆:*

SUNLIGHT FILTERED through the beige and blue curtains, shining onto Adin's face uncomfortably. Adin sat up on his bed, rubbing his forehead tiredly. Last night's events came flooding back, and he groaned, flinging himself back onto his bed. Using his hand, Adin covered his eyes from the stinging light.

"Good morning!" a cheerful voice rang out across the room.

"Chris, I regret giving you the key to my house," Adin grumbled. "Get out."

"Moody, are we?" Chris responded. "Ready to face the world?"

"Nope," Adin said.

"Understandable." Chris sat on the edge of the bed, making the mattress sink slightly. "Adin, what happened yesterday, it wasn't your fault."

"That's what you think," Adin replied as he pulled the covers over his head.

"You need to stop blaming yourself," Chris whined, tugging at the blanket. "It's not–" he pried at it again, then trailed off. "Hey, when'd you get this iron grip?"

Adin sat up, letting the quilt slide onto his lap. With a grin pulling at the corner of his mouth, Adin let a laugh spill from his lips. "I love how easily you get distracted."

Chris turned to Adin with a smile that showed his pearly white teeth, the one that could send anyone in Amethirus into a frenzy. Adin blushed, his cheeks turning an unflattering shade of pink. Their eyes met, and Adin immediately knew what Chris was thinking from his widened grin. Yelping, he dove under the covers again, and Chris watched his friend with an amused expression.

"You know it's true."

"It's not if I don't accept it," came Adin's muffled response.

"I–Adin, it doesn't work like that!"

"Why not?"

There was silence, and then finally, Chris responded, "I'm too hungry to argue with you."