Chapter 6

Katie

The deep voice startled me so much that I almost dropped the sugar bowl on the floor. My head flew up. Ben was standing in the doorway with his hands in his pockets.

"Sorry," he smiled, coming a few steps in. "I thought you'd heard me."

"No," I said, returning the mile. This was good. He had sought me out. I didn't have to concoct a reason to bump into him as I left the centre.

This was almost too easy.

I straightened and gestured at the table, and made sure the motion made the loose neckline of my shirt fall over my shoulder and again exposed my bra strap. Ben's gaze had lingered there when I'd done it in the café, and did so now too. I flicked my hair over my shoulder and smiled at him as I replied. "I can leave as soon as I'm done clearing up here."

"I'll help you, then." He came round the table and lifted the full tray I had loaded everything onto, walked into the kitchen and began putting the cups into the dishwasher.

I scrambled after him. "You don't have to do that."

He winked at me. "I have an ulterior motive."

As did I. But I didn't say so. Instead, I made my eyes widen and blinked up at him "Oh?"

Ben closed the dishwasher with a snap and wiped his hands on the tea towel. "Yep."

"Which is?"

Gesturing for me to precede him, he followed me back to the reception and waited while I gathered my phone and bag and waved goodbye to Vincent and a smirking Mary-Ann, then held the door open for me and followed me out into the sultry evening air. Only as he fell in beside me said, "This."

I couldn't help but laugh as we headed towards the river. Both from Ben's proud mien and because he was making this so easy for me. "Good planning."

Hands in his pockets, he smiled at me. "I thought so."

"What do you think of the centre?" I asked. "Now that you've seen all of it." There hadn't been time on Saturday before the party, so the board meeting today had started off with a tour of the centre and Vincent proudly pointing out every nook and cranny of the entire building.

"I think you and Vincent have done a brilliant job."

My smile disappeared and my head veered to Ben, but he continued before I could protest.

"He told us how much you've helped."

"Oh. Well. It's the least I could do." I rubbed my palms on my thighs and tried for a casual shrug. The very reason I had stayed in London for so long was to help Vincent as much as I could and see for myself what aid the money could give to patients, staff and volunteers, but I had no wish whatsoever to be recognized as anything more than just another volunteer.

Someone might then get more interested in me and start to wonder why I was doing this.

Ben met my gaze, held it. "No. It isn't. It's a lot you've done."

I let myself enjoy his praise for just a moment. It was nice, but not why I was here. I had a task to perform and it had nothing to do with the sparks Ben so effortlessly set off.

If I wanted to keep helping rehab centres, I had to keep my focus on that task. Otherwise, I would be exposed to the world and my mission would become impossible to continue.

I found a smile and briefly touched his arm. "Thank you."

"Has Vincent told you how the new centre finally came about?"