"Yes my lord." The elf answered with a nod.

"Give the order." Thrnaduil started, "If anything moves on that mountain ... kill it." The soldier nodded before walking away to carry out the elf king's order. "The dwarves are out of time." Thranduil grumbled.

"Bowman!" Gandalf shouted, gaining Bard's attention. "Do you agree? Is gold so important to you? Would you buy it with the blood of dwarves?" Gandalf questioned in agitation as Bard glanced away from a moment before looking back at the grey wizard.

"It won't come to that." Bard insisted. "This is a fight they cannot win." He added in confidence.

"That won't stop them." A familiar voice spoke, gaining the two men's attention as they looked over seeing a small hobbit scurrying up to them. "You think the dwarves will surrender? They won't. They will fight to the death to defend their own." He stated as he stopped before them.

"Bilbo Baggins." Gandalf spoke with a mixture of joy and relief, glad to be around someone with reason for once and to see his chosen company member safe and sound ... one of them anyway. Bilbo smiled up at Gandalf, glad to be able to see the wizard.

All three entered the tent to where Thranduil sat, recognizing the hobbit immediately. "If I am not mistaken, this is the halfling who stole the keys to my dungeons from under the nose of my guards." He stated, looking at the small hobbit with displeasure while the corner of Bard's lips perked up a bit.

"Yes." Bilbo dragged out the word, extending out the s just a bit as he cast his eyes to the ground for a moment before looking back up at the elf. "Sorry ... about that." He spoke, not really seeming sorry at all. Instead he walked up to the stand in the middle of the room, "I came to give you this." He placed a balled up dirty rag on the stool before unraveling it to reveal a glowing white gemstone, the Arkenstone.

Both Thranduil and Bard jumped up on their feet immediately as the stone was revealed, the jewel seemed to glow in the dark light, almost looking like a small star. "The heart of the mountain." Thranduil began to speak in awe. "The king's jewel."

"Worth a king's ransom." Bard continued as he walked up, looking down at the jewel. "How is this yours to give?" Bard questioned as he looked down at Bilbo, tearing his eyes away from the glowing jewel.

"I took it as my fourteenth share of the treasure." Bilbo answered after letting out a small sigh.

"Why would you do this? You owe us no loyalty." Bard stated as he looked at the hobbit with a confused look as Thranduil waited expectedly for Bilbo's answer.

Bilbo shook his head slightly, "I'm not doing it for you." Gandalf approached the pedestal as well, leaning on his staff as he listened to the hobbit. "I know that dwarves can be obstinate, and pigheaded, and difficult. They're suspicious and secretive, with the worst manners you can possibly imagine." Bilbo spoke with a slight chuckle looking over at the grey wizard. "But they are also brave, and kind, and loyal to a fault. I-I've grown very fond of them and I would save them if I can." Bilbo explained, looking up at the two with kind eyes. He pointed to the stone as he spoke, "Now, Thorin values this stone above all else. In exchange for its return, he will give you what you are owed. There will be no need for war."

Thranduil and Bard both exchanged a look between each other, before Thranduil nodded. "We will take you up on your offer." Thranduil then kneeled, "But if it fails ... war will come." He then stood up before waving his hand dismissing the halfling as Gandalf escorted Bilbo out of the tent.

"Rest up tonight." Gandalf spoke once they were far from the tent. "You will leave on the morrow." He stated firmly.

Bilbo stopped in his tracks, looking up at Gandalf, his brows contorted into confusion, "What?" Gandalf stopped as well, turning to look at the hobbit.