23 | Red herring

It was another long day in school and you were counting down the minutes to get out. You weren't even listening to what the teacher was saying, openly falling asleep in class. This infuriated the teachers a lot but there was really nothing they could do. You weren't disturbing the class and to top it off, you were always the top of the class in every subject. They wouldn't want their star student to leave.

"Loving your life now? So carefree." Hailey said as she packed her bag.

"It's alright. I prefer the adrenaline rush."

Hailey knew what was going on as you went to Bill's house to get another phone to contact Nat. Everyone was saying that it was dangerous and you could slip up or Nat could find your phone but you ignored them.

You as much as Nat wanted to speak to each other like you used to instead of having to go through another person.

---

As usual Nat came to pick you up and informed you that everyone was going to attend a dinner party. And for the first time, you were going to a party that wasn't hosted by the one and only Tony Stark.

"Everyone is going and we didn't want you to be alone in the compound." Nat explained though you think it was due to another reason. Tony doesn't just go to any party well, you could always ask him or Wanda.

"When do we go?" You asked as Nat parked the car in the garage.

"In two hours. So go get our best clothes on."

Skipping the step that Nat told you to do, you went to find Wanda to get answers. With a little probing, (she didn't want to tell you because you always get into trouble), she finally told you it was a mission.

The front was a charity donation but it was mainly to have the opportunity to meet the contact person. They have crossed paths with their target but you didn't know, you were sleeping in the resort.

When time came for everyone to leave, you put on something formal but still easy for you to move around. Nat, on the other hand, wore a red dress that looked very flattering on her. It was as if the dress was made for her. No one could wear it better than her.

'You're catching flies, Y/N' Wanda said in your head and you immediately pulled your jaw up.

"Shall we go?" Nat said after getting ready and everyone got into their vehicle and left for the hotel that was hosting the event.

Nat was holding my hand, so I'm assuming she's acting as my sister? The event is free and easy so there were plenty of tables but no chairs so everyone gets to move around. I have no idea what name she was going with now and I didn't want to blow her cover so I just pulled her hand and pointed towards the end of the buffet table where there were free fruit punch.

"You're thirsty?" She took a cup and handed the drink to you. "Want a snack?" She handed you the fruit tart that was on display and suddenly, she kept handing you food and cakes from the buffet spread.  You had to balance all the food with the small plate I have on your hand. You didn't have the opportunity to stop her and now you were left with a plate full of food and Natasha left to go somewhere.

You sighed knowing she had just ditched you for the mission as no one was around. You quickly remembered seeing the necklace you gave her on her neck so you turned on your tracker on your glasses to track her location.

It seems like Wanda was acting separately from her. Unable to locate anyone else, you quickly gobble up your food before heading out to the hall, away from the booming music that you had no idea was so loud until you stepped out.

Wandering around the halls and looking at every corner, you slowly made your way to Nat, hoping to see some familiar faces while doing so. Perhaps you should start to consider other methods to include a tracker in other team members but you were absolutely unsure what they wear while on a mission.

"Sorry, girl, you aren't allowed past this point." A hotel lady stopped you from proceeding any further. You looked in front and behind, you were sure Nat was in front here and she managed to get past this point somehow.

An idea came to your mind and you put on your acting skills immediately. "But, but... I have to use the washroom." You crossed your legs and pointed towards the washroom that was in front. You started acting as if you weren't going to make it and dashed past her and into the washroom. Thankfully she didn't follow you as she was called away by another colleague.

After making sure the coast was clear, you started making your way to Nat quicker. Now that you were stopped once, you were sure there was something of importance here. One last corner and you would have made it but a gun shot made you stop on your tracks and hide behind a corner.

"Give it up Rumlow." You heard Nat say. You couldn't see what was happening but the words were clear. You checked where Wanda was and sure enough, she was rapidly closing in to assist.

(the following part isn't going to make sense for Nat but just go with it.)

"You really believe all of this?" Rumlow asked. He was still pointing his gun towards Nat, who was doing the same as him.

"Just pass the serum to me."

"This is all just a facade." He said while waving his other hand around. "A red herring." Running footsteps were getting louder and it gathered their attention as their heads turned to the same direction.

Both however, had different reactions.

Rumlow, redirected his gun to Wanda who didn't manage to react in time. Her red jacket turned crimson as her blood spreaded around her shoulders.

"WANDA!!!" Nat screamed once she heard the gunshot and you came out from your corner to check. She went to shoot at Rumlow but he managed to dodge out of the way as Nat started running towards Wanda.

Powering up your shoes, you took out a pen from your pocket and threw it in the air, getting ready to kick it when it reached your shoes. You striked it with all you got and you managed to cut his cheeks. Already accomplishing what he came here to do, he fled but not before whispering. 'Hail Hydra'.

"Wanda, Wanda." Nat shook her lifeless body. Seeing all the blood on her hands when she didn't receive a response, gave her a mental shock and she passed out after screaming.

"Oh god." You said after looking at the two women lying on the floor. You went to place pressure on Wanda's wound as you took out your phone and tried to call Steve. After a few tries, you managed to get through and you told him what happened.

You also checked to make sure that Nat wasn't hurt physically as best you could while still trying to preserve Wanda's life.

"I'll bring Wanda back to the compound first. Wait here for Bucky to bring Nat back." You nodded because there was nothing else you could have done. If only you were in your original body, you could have prevented all this or at the very least be the one who brought Nat back.

You felt very useless in this body of yours. Seeing the people that you love getting hurt but you were unable to help them.

Posted on 26 Jun 2022