"So, you're saying that you need me."

"It seems as if we need you as much as you need us, Mr. MacElroy."

"Fine," Leo muttered, "When do I start?"

"There's a meeting today after school. In this classroom itself." Mr. Sorkin informed with a smile, making Leo sigh.

"Fine. Whatever."

Leo stormed out of the classroom after that, annoyed that he would have to deal with this new bullshit now. Frankly, he didn't even care about graduating. He knew that he had to, but he just couldn't bring himself to care about it.

Leo and his sister, Maya, moved from one foster home to another. When he was fifteen, they were fostered by two husbands, Kai and Roan. After a few months, the couple ended up adopting the siblings officially.

It was a shock to Leo, he never thought he would get adopted considering his age. And it was his biggest fear that Maya would, and that they'd get separated. His relationship with Kai and Roan was complicated, whereas Maya considered them her dads, and even called them that— Leo just couldn't bring himself to do the same.

They were only about twelve years older than Leo, so it was hard to call them, or even see them as his fathers. The whole family dynamic was complicated, but even though Leo would never admit it— he wouldn't change it for the world.

Leo was walking in the hallway, that was only slightly crowded since it was the lunch break. He plugged in his earphones as he walked, and was looking down at his phone when someone bumped into his shoulder.

"Shit— Sorry, man." The boy apologised immediately.

Leo looked at him, his face devoid of any emotion. The Asian boy stared right back at Leo, as if he was expecting him to say something, or give any sort of reaction for that matter. But Leo did nothing, he just looked away and continued walking.

~~~

Milan watched as the dark haired boy walked away. His hands in his pockets, his earphones plugged in, and his distant eyes that never seemed to care about anything. Milan shared a few classes with him, and this look was his constant.

"He's so weird," Quinn, Milan's best friend, commented, "I thought the whole loner, tumblr bad boy aesthetic wasn't cool anymore."

"Don't be judgmental." Milan said.

"I'm not, I'm just sayin'," Quinn shrugged it off, "Some people say he's Mr. Nahar's son? But like Mr. Nahar isn't old enough to have a kid his age. Could be his half brother or something 'cause I'm pretty sure Mr. Nahar is atleast part Indian and he looks Lati—"

"How do you know gossip about literally everyone in school?" Milan asked.

"I'm a journalist in making, so duh," Quinn said like it was the most obvious thing in the world, "It's my job to know shit."

"Unless you want to write about what celeb wore what shoes at what award show, I suggest you start caring about more substantial news." Milan remarked, and Quinn rolled their eyes.

"I keep forgetting that you're no fun." Quinn retorted.

"Yet here you are." Milan muttered.

"You know I say it with love!" Quinn grinned, "Do you want to come over after school?"

"Can't," Milan said, "I have a meeting with the Mathletes."

"I thought you guys were done for because you didn't have enough members?" Quinn asked.

"I thought so too but apparently Mr. Sorkin found someone. I just hope whoever they are actually know their shit. I want wins in my record before I apply to colleges." Milan answered.

"You should also hope that it's a cute boy so that you can finally get some!" Quinn said.

"Not everyone's as horny as you," Milan sighed, "Besides the school's not too big, I'm pretty sure I know who all the gay guys are."

"Not the closeted or questioning ones." Quinn said with a smirk.

"Yes, because my luck is so amazing that the new member of the Mathletes, out of every other club in the world, will be a cute closeted dude that will be into me. Sounds like one of those books you keep reading." Milan muttered.

"I just want my best friend to find love," Quinn paused, "Or atleast some dick. Is that too much to ask for?"

~~~

Leo got through the day, once his last class ended, he made his way to the room he was waiting to go to the entire time. He didn't bother to knock, and barged inside.

Kai was packing up his things as he looked up to see Leo, who seemed extremely pissed off.

"What did you say to Mr. Sorkin?" Leo asked.

"He came to me to talk about you," Kai admitted, "He thought you were cheating in his class."

"Why would he think that?" Leo was slightly taken aback.

"Because you're barely scraping by in every class except math? You're failing in history— in my class," Kai sighed, "He was concerned."

"And what did you tell him?" Leo questioned.

"I told him that Roan teaches you math which is why you're good at it." Kai answered.

"And now he wants me to join the fuc— freakin Mathletes." Leo grumbled.

"A decision I support." Kai replied.

"Whatever."

"Don't you have the meeting right now? Shouldn't you be going there?" Kai rose a brow, "You don't want to be late for your first day."

"This conversation isn't over." Leo stated.

"We'll talk more at home." Kai promised.

"Whatever."

***