Chapter 7

You don't tell your friends right away that you're dating Cole. It's only when you realize that you keep putting yourself in situations that put you completely alone with him where no one knows where you are that you tell Garret. Just so someone knows where to point the police should you go missing. Not that you're worried. Cole's been a gentleman, hands in "safe" areas, nothing more risqué than kisses.

Maybe that last part frustrates you at the same time as it comforts you, after all you've never... Anyway, it's fine. You're happy. You stroke your hand slowly down Noodle's body, the ferret fast asleep on your chest as you lay in bed. Your alarm clock's display leaves a soft red glow across your bed, the numbers reading nine thirty pm. You hear a soft rapping at your window. You reach over pulling the curtain up enough to catch familiar yellow panther eyes.

You gently transfer Noodle to his cage, setting him in a hammock. He doesn't even open his eyes before you grab your coat to head out. It's rather bright out thanks to the street lights and moon reflecting off the layer of snow on the ground. Snowflakes are scattered lightly on Cole's sleek black fur.

"Cole! Whatcha need?" You ask, trying not to seem too eager. He gives you a wide smile with far too many sharp dangerous teeth.

"Walk with me. I want to look at the stars, and feel the infinite dread of distance and emptiness hanging above me." He rumbles out in that low and rough version of his voice he gets as a panther. You look up into the sky, the field of endless stars above you ruined by the city's light pollution.

"Hard to really get the effect you want here." You sigh. "Did you just miss me?"

He tilts his head and starts to walk away, letting you sprint forward to catch up. "It's good to take company along, in case I stare into the abyss too long, and need someone to call me back." His tail sways to the side and brushes light against your leg, your heart racing. "And— I missed you." Your face is now warm enough to fend off the cold winter air.

"How much longer will you be a panther?" You ask knowing how he still likes to avoid you when he is fully transformed. You were hoping to spend most of Christmas with him and that was next week.

"I should be in my half state in a few days." He answers, leading you to a familiar place, the park. It's late and few people remain there, it's official curfew at ten. Not that the police enforce it unless you're sleeping there. A homeless man you've been seeing around fairly frequently is gone. The straps of his backpack hanging out of a garbage can. Your heart sinks into your stomach with worry when Cole paws at you. "Something the matter?"

"Huh?" You look back at the empty bench, its newly installed anti homeless bar sitting garishly in the center of it. "The man who used to... stay here is gone."

Cole contemplates your expression, his eyes catching the low light around you, looking brighter than a human's . His ears squish down and he raises a paw to his chin. "Did you have some attachment to the vagrant?" It's hard to tell if it's suspicion or concern in his voice.

"Not, really?" You rub the back of your neck. "I mean I did speak to him infrequently, and I did buy him food a few times a week."

"Truly you're a kind soul, not made for this unforgiving city." Cole croons placatingly. "Hopefully he found his way into one of the city's many fine shelters." You nod and continue on your way with Cole. Talking as you walk around the serene park. People give you both a wide berth until they too head home or at least inside.

"C-can I—" You start to ask the question burning in your mind but lose your nerve when he looks up at you. "Never mind." You quickly say, turning your head away to pretend to be interested in a nearby tree.