Chapter 41: The Beta

Magsimula sa umpisa

"I hope this trip would lessen your burden." I hope so too, Anabeth.

Nabigla ako nang niyakap niya ako nang mahigpit. I could feel her pouting, trying to hide her sadness. "I'll see you in a month then?" she murmured.

Ngumiti ako at niyakap siya pabalik.

That night, while waiting myself to fall sleep, I stared at the ceiling with thoughts playing in my head. The apothecary had been my comfort place... the place I could consider my home. To leave was something I didn't imagine myself doing.

But comfort doesn't mean lesser pain.

The day came. It was early morning and the sun was just peeking behind the mountains surrounding the town. But the apothecary was fully  awake.

Anabeth and the senior staff helped me with last minute preparation and reminders before the black car that would take me pulled into the driveway.

Muli akong niyakap ni Anabeth habang nasa harapan ng tower kasama ang ilang staff para magpaalam. "Mag-iingat ka doon, okay? I'll find ways to visit you."

"Take care of the senior staff here for me."

Isa-isang nagpaalam sa'kin sina Senior Violeta, Senior Rowena at iba  pa. Tinulungan ako ng order na ilagay ang mga gamit sa trunk ng sasakyan.

Nang sa wakas ay makaupo ako sa backseat, pinagmasdan kong muli  ang mga kasama ko mula sa bintana, waving in front of the tower.  Hindi ko napigilang ngumiti. Whenever I leave households I used to serve, it always felt like I was being thrown away. I've never had  people who bade me goodbye like this.

Nanatili akong tahimik sa mga unang minuto ng byahe. The first village was located in the east mountain areas of Van Zanth. The car would  take me to the mountain side where an order was waiting to hike with  me to the village.

I took a deep breathe, leaning against the leather seat. It would surely be a long day but I didn't mind. It's been a long time since I felt this kind of freedom.

After a long drive, we arrived at the mountain side. I unclutched my seatbelt to open the door but the driver got out of the car first and  opened it for me.

"Thank you," I mumbled, quite surprised by the gesture.

Tinulungan ko siyang kunin ang mga gamit ko sa trunk, but he only refused so I ended up approaching the order who would take me to the village. But I was thoroughly surprised nang makita si Alexander na naghihintay sa'min.

Nagtaka ako at linibot ang tingin sa paligid. But he was the only one waiting for us in the secluded mountain side. Lumapit ako sa kanya, nagtataka pa rin.

"I didn't know you're the one who would accompany me."

He remained nonchalant about all of this. "I volunteered to do so."

Kinuha niya ang mga gamit mula sa order who waited for us to start the hike before he could leave. Nagsimula kaming umakyat sa bundok,  with Alexander carrying most of my things. The village must be far enough for someone like the beta to accompany me.

While hiking through the rough patches of wild plants and rocky mountain ground, hindi ko mapigilang sumulyap kay Alexander na nangunguna sa harapan, clearing the path by brushing away stray branches and torn bushes.

He wasn't at the party. I've heard that most of the orders were on duty. Although I expected the beta to be there. But I was glad he wasn't. Ayokong maging siya makita ang mga nangyari. He already witness enough tears from me.

Inabot niya ang palad ko para tulungan akong tumawid sa mababaw na sapa.

"I've heard she's back in town. Kaya ba nandito ka ngayon?"