Chapter 24: Intoxicated

The following day, Zanra informed us that the dresses were already sent to the mansion. She invited us in to check on them and do the final fitting.

Pagdating namin sa mansion, lahat ay abala sa paghahanda para sa darating na pagtitipon. According to Zanra, there would be a meeting with the council members, the official announcement, and the evening party.

Lahat ng mga tagasilbi sa mansion ay abala sa pagpapalit ng kurtina, paglilinis ng mga chandlier, o paglalagay ng mga makukulay at malalagong bulaklak sa mga vases sa buong mansion. May ilang taong nagaayos ng garden, trimming some bushes and cleaning the leave-covered ground.

Sinalubong kami ni Zanra sa doorway with the same giddiness. The dresses were already in one of the rooms in the first floor, pero inanyaya niya muna kaming magmeryenda sa dining room where sandwiches and juices were served.

Napalinga-linga si Anabeth, checking the open doorway kung saan sumisilip ang living room. "Wala ang mga magulang mo?" tanong niya habang ngumunguya ng sandwich.

"They're dealing with last minute paper works," saad ni Zanra. "But Zackary's here. Dad insisted that he take the day off before the transition. He's probably upstairs reading or something instead of sleeping or taking a rest."

Biglang lumapit sa'min si Zanra, tila may gustong ibulong. "My Aunt is here too. She arrived early this morning."

Naintriga si Anabeth. "Aunt?"

"My dad's sister, Aunt Lorraine. She's been travelling a lot for the past years. You'd know right away when you see her. She's eccentric and unpredictable, the opposite of dad."

Napaisip ako sa sinabi ni Zanra. Somehow, I couldn't imagine a Van Zanth taking the eccentric route.

We spent the rest of the afternoon fitting our dresses, which arrived in big rectangular black boxes with gold ribbons. It's like receiving gift for Christmas, kahit si Zanra excited na buksan ang mga ito para maisukat.

We were in the room for the entire afternoon. My dress didn't need much adjustment, it was as though perfectly made for me. Kaya tinulungan ko ang dalawa sa pagsusukat ng kanilang mga dress sa harap ng salamin.

"It would have been great with accessories on our hair," saad ni Zanra habang pinagmamasdan ang sarili sa salamin. "I'll get my box of ribbons in my room."

Sinubukan niyang alisin ang damit bago lumabas sa kwarto, but delicately removing the chiffon dress was more of a struggle than fitting it in.

"I'll get it," I told her dahil ako lang ang hindi suot ang dress sa kanilang dalawa.

Tahimik akong lumabas sa kwarto kung saan sila nagsusukat ng damit. I was satisfied with my own dress, a lovely color of green resting inside the box. Hindi ko ito masyadong ginagalaw, natatakot na baka masira ito bago ang pagtitipon.

In the living room, the people cleaning and preparing the mansion had rested for the day. It was late afternoon at papalubog na ang araw sa likod ng kakahuyan.

I was about to take the staircase to Zanra's room nang matigilan ako. Someone was walking down the stairs, a face I hadn't seen before in the mansion.

Siya na siguro ang tinutukoy ni Zanra. Ms. Lorraine. She's gorgeous, a woman with such strong features. The arch of her eyebrows directly proportional to her sharp nose and squared jaw, and her tanned skin from all the travelling.

Bahagya akong yumuko bilang paggalang. She reached the end of the stairs and stood directly in front of me. "Narinig kong nandito ang mga kaibigan ni Zanra. Are you one of them?"